Ash's A6 Carina Coupe (Lyfe)

kyteler

I'm pretty sure it worked for him.

The problem is finding one. I owned my carina for a couple of years and could never get my hands on one. That being said, unless trackdays are what you're building the car for, drums are probably fine. They have a lot of power, they just overheat faster than discs.

Yeah I'm hoping to get an ae86 rear end and get the mounts changed

They work good they just over heat on sets of down hill corners

I'll pull the disc's off and measure up and see if I can find vented front disc and calliper that bolts straight on

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I replied to a couple of your posts I saw on fb, but this looks interesting:

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/14866-Celica-gt-AE86-rear-disk-conversion

As noted in the link, discs won't bolt onto your drum diff.

Heya mate

Yeah cheers for the replays

Your correct, the flange is different so they won't bolt over so a custom bracket would need to be made

I'd just overhaul your drums. Probably hasn't been looked at in years, especially if they are overheating on the road

For what its worth I've got discs on the back of mine, but end up using a bias valve to turn them almost completely off anyway or it locks up the rear.

Way better hand brake turns with drums haha.

Yeah I'd haft to run a bias valve witch isn't to big a deal but starting to get into being more work then I intend for this car

In conclusion on the brakes topic

I might have some vented disc's and calipers coming so I'll run thows and see how it goes.

Gonna head to race brakes today and get some quality fluid (new some for the AW anyway) and I'll pull the pads to see if they've glazed over (they stank like f@ck when they got hot)

I've got my spare aw11 complete rear hubs witch have a smallish single pot so I'll have a measure and see what they would sit like (felling early fxgt might be better suited being smaller) but with the spacers and brakets needing to be made I will most likely forget about rear disc's for the time being.

Apparently heiace rear drums bolt on as an upgrade cause there a Borg rear end as well??

• 2 weeks later...

You'll just break your T series axles and then have a hard time finding anymore.

I hope you like understeer, locked diff is terrible.

Regarding headlights... Twin front is best front! More the merrier!

Funny you say that, I have actually been struggling with understeer in my practicing (yes I know it standard but it doesn't hurt)

Thought a slightly wider track and better tires in the front might sort that out.

That and getting the back out by shifting the weight is proving unpredictable with slow moving and large amounts of body roll.

Once it's out its fine, had it in 3rd gear in the wet sweet as, just getting the rear out with out without losing momentum cause I don't have a power or grip to keep the speed up.

And yeah I have been worried from what I've read about the T series stuff. Ive got access to space axels (at a cost of course) but if I break it I might just haft to bite the bullet and shell out for a hilux rear...

Then I'll break the T50 and need to upgrade that haha

Cross these bridges when they come

Ohhh, I remember this car. One of my customers work ex boys was using I think

Yup it's the car you're thinking of Brad. One of the sons works with me. Had no idea they sold it, had asked years ago jokingly to buy it but got the impression they had no intentions to do that.

What are your goals for the car? 

Sounds like you're after a drift car mostly.

Yeah pretty much.

I have plans down the line for a 2GR and hilux LSD rear end but will haft to make do and keep it on the road until the AW is finished and setup and hopefully running in production series.

Ultimately road friendly, drift friendly (if I can find a balance between the two haha) and still some what comfortable.

For now it's basically cheap way to learn to drift until the other project is done.

Whats wrong with T series gear? Guys with 86s run them, never have problems.

My thoughts exactly, have a mate with a grunty little small port that's low/tight as hell and he doesn't have many issues with it at all.

Reckons T series is sweet until 280hp and too grippy a tire.

Said hilux stuff is to heavy and cumbersome if your not putting down huge power

Not that I'll take his word as gospel but he's run it for years now and isn't looking to change any time soon

But hey I'll find out at some point I guess haha

Yup it's the car you're thinking of Brad. One of the sons works with me. Had no idea they sold it, had asked years ago jokingly to buy it but got the impression they had no intentions to do that.

Yeah the guy I bought it off said they didn't want it to turn into a drift hack and were pretty picky on who they sold it to

Bloke I bought I off was going to drop a lot of coin into the car but things changed as they do

You can tell him it won't be a hack. And that I've already replaced some broken interna bits and am super stoked with it.

And it will be mint once I finish my other project late this year or early next year and see a good over hall with no "JDM" or tasteless mods, stickers or hacking

• Like 1

2GR would be friggen awesome in a Carina!

Finally Toyota made a decent V6. Rather than the junk 3VZ etc that people swap into MR2s.

They're still pretty spendy though at last check, especially since you need to factor in an ECU that can run 4x VVTI.

• Like 1

2GR would be friggen awesome in a Carina!

Finally Toyota made a decent V6. Rather than the junk 3VZ etc that people swap into MR2s.

They're still pretty spendy though at last check, especially since you need to factor in an ECU that can run 4x VVTI.

Exactly! And a know a RWD box that bolts straight up I'll give you guys a hint.. Uses parts from a two different makes

Friend has a 2GR in his aw11, 310hp on standard ECU with just headers. It's nuts! Just needs the RPM limit cut

And yeah, price is partly why I'm in no hurry

• Like 1