Jed's '74 Type LT Camaro

j.e.d.

Cheers mate, I'll try the HQ rims in the morning..

These unilug wheels have the stud located in the centre of the slot unfortunately. I thought I was on to something this arvo when I read that the washer sat against the locating 'bumps' either side of the slot which positioned the stud/lugnut where it needed to be. Not so though as my washers don't come near them.

The tyre guy thought that because I'll be replacing the suspension bushes in another month or so it wasn't worth it. But the reality is I don't think he wanted to do the alignment on my car because of what it was and it being 4:15 on a Friday afternoon. When I got there his words were, "when I saw you turn up I was hoping you weren't the one wanting an alignment" I don't doubt his ability, just his enthusiasm. And maybe his ability.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought with cragars you set the PCD with the correct offset washers?

crr-kw225-1_w_ml.jpglug-nut-washers.jpg

Thats what I understand as well. I just don't know which ones I need as nothing I've found clearly states 'these are for cragar to GM cars'

Cheers mate, I'll try the HQ rims in the morning..

These unilug wheels have the stud located in the centre of the slot unfortunately. I thought I was on to something this arvo when I read that the washer sat against the locating 'bumps' either side of the slot which positioned the stud/lugnut where it needed to be. Not so though as my washers don't come near them.

The tyre guy thought that because I'll be replacing the suspension bushes in another month or so it wasn't worth it. But the reality is I don't think he wanted to do the alignment on my car because of what it was and it being 4:15 on a Friday afternoon. When I got there his words were, "when I saw you turn up I was hoping you weren't the one wanting an alignment" I don't doubt his ability, just his enthusiasm. And maybe his ability.

I get why the alignment guy wasn't too keen starting that late on a friday. When I had my Firebird done to similar specs it took the guys over an hour.

Personally I would do all the suspension bushes then align it, save some money on something that will have to be done again. 

How did the steel wheels go?

Haven't had a chance all day mate. Selling all my stuff on TM that I'd accumulated for the hatch takes up a lot of time I've found lol.

Hoping I'll have some spare time tomorrow. Working from home does have it's perks.

I'll put a call out in the tech thread soon to see if anyone can whip up some collars for me, as I can't imagine the tyre guy will have much luck. 

Cheers

Thats what I understand as well. I just don't know which ones I need as nothing I've found clearly states 'these are for cragar to GM cars'

Just looking through google results it seems you want washers like this but with the hole centered

crr-kw225-1_w_ml.jpg

As the Chev 4.75" pattern is right in the middle of the unilug slot, there's proper washers for 4.5", 4.75" and 5".

AFAIK the round washers you have are for the single pattern version wheels, but that's from a vague memory of swapping round washers for the correct oval ones on a customers Valiant like 12 years ago.

Just looking through google results it seems you want washers like this but with the hole centered

crr-kw225-1_w_ml.jpg

As the Chev 4.75" pattern is right in the middle of the unilug slot, there's proper washers for 4.5", 4.75" and 5".

AFAIK the round washers you have are for the single pattern version wheels, but that's from a vague memory of swapping round washers for the correct oval ones on a customers Valiant like 12 years ago.

Welcome to the world of Cragar wheels. They have a multitude of different styles and options. Most of the Unilug are for GM passenger car stud pattern 5 x 4.75 and Ford 5 x 4.5 with the big but of some have the ability to go to 5 x 5. 

Simple answer I feel is the spacer for hub centric location. Any half competent engineer with a lathe could spin some up.

• Like 1

Nice work on the spacers, big win there. Looking at the rubber on the control arm I'd say they are toast. Complete kits are pretty cheap from the US. If there is no play in the tie rod ends give it all a good clean and a grease and away you go. Wash world is the answer in the first place. 

Spax shocks have a good name, those look pretty old. Pedders have been my go to for a few years now. Both the Firebird and Silverado have them,

• Like 1

Cheers man. They have made an amazing difference & makes me feel a lot better knowing the wheels are running true.

One thing I remember the tyre guy pointing out was that there is a flat spot on both the front tyres from someone slamming on the brakes once upon a time. It didn't look too noticable to my eye, but wondering if this may be contributing to the thrumming.

I'm assuming Pedders or the like are available through certain automotive establishments in Auckland? I'm hoping Performance Parts or STA are open this long weekend so I can pick up a MSD Streetfire & gasket set for the manifold.

• 9 months later...