Alistair's 1973 7AGTE Corolla

Alistair

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos mate.. Shed just dosent look the same anymore:( was always a plan to go with smaller wheels but you won't be able to drop below 16s with the front brakes, wouldn't be hard to go down a size on the front discs and make new caliper brackets to suit so you can run a 15 or possibly 14, if you decide to sell the wheels I had a few guys wanting to buy them I can put you onto, you shouldn't have any issue selling those though

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hmm that's the first I've heard of a clutch plate slipping on

The spline

But I seem to think that the incorrect clutch plate

That matches the gearbox spline has been fitted

Causing this.

As your clutch friction material is always your weakest link

In the system.

Keep us posted on how you end up removing the

Clutch plate from the G box

More common in Evo's etc launching but does happen more than you think with twin plate clutches, obviously a lot more bite so the friction material might have been stronger than the spline internal, coupled with some sort of shock on it (in speaking to the supplier not rev matching on downshift with twinplates can sometimes cause this too).

Result of the above:

2016-07-25%2021.23.52_zpsa1ap4fup.jpg

2016-07-25%2021.24.47_zpshn05756c.jpg

One mangled clutch plate.

Sending the flywheel and intermediate plates off today for skimming and ordered the new clutch plates and pressure plate. It's done pretty well to survive this long, I didn't realise the clutch came from the 0GRIP 330+kw AE92 Superlap car before it went into the KE20 so this twinplate setup has been in use for blardy ages.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about the VVT sound, silver tops are always tickey as shit (a lot more than black tops, but unsure why) but your motor seems especially tickey. Be interesting to see if a new pulley fixes it. Would also be interesting to know if toyota did something different to the blacktops to stop the noise?