Jsnapsnz's 1985 AE86 Levin

jsnapsnz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome looking car,

Funny that basically same sort of looking as mine, though that cert plate says 3 dr, body kit, different steering wheel and front strut brace. which mine all have but lack on my plate!

What are your future plans?

Thanks! :-) I used to have a converted Panda Trueno AE85 but it was the biggest rust POS you ever saw... The Levin front has really grown on me! I reckon I prefer it now.

Plans are get it back on the road now I'm in aux and get to some meets!! Bloody certs... I'll catch my build thread up to current and you'll see what has been on the go lately :wink:

• Like 1

I'm very interested to see how you get on with this blower setup, as I have the same blower and engine sitting in my garage waiting for some action

It goes great! Mine's not fully running yet but I had a ride in an AE92 Trueno with a Lysholm 1200AX. The map and specs for this blower seem to be substituted for the IHI as there is sweet f a info available for them! Boost was a bit wild with 1.6:1 overdriven but ~15psi ish at WOT. Partial throttle spiked the boost way up so a BOV was used with a boost control solenoid to let the Link ECU bleed of boost and maintain stable boost curve. This was run on a mostly stock 4AGE with quad throttles fitted, 2.1/2" plumbing and exhaust. My tuner Glenn Suckling reckons this is hard on your engine though as it's running "turbo style" pushing air at the throttle body and loading it up as soon as you touch the gas. Perhaps a better idea to put the blower post throttle with a recirc valve per factory application. Response seemed pretty good though! Crazy loud so forget about it as a daily or love to piss off your neighbours :wink:

Hey man. Loving the updates!

Mostly curious as to why you used 304 wire on mild steel bends?

Thanks bro, I'm posting like crazy to catch it up to current :-)

I'm aware that SS somewhat deteriorates when melted during welding so it is common to select a higher grade rod compared to what you're welding ie: using RM318LC Weldwell electrodes to Arc Weld SS316 - this way you don't get the weld rusting quicker than the parent metal. I'm not sure if the copper coated mild steel filler rod (exactly the same as copper coated steel mig wire) is similarly affected but using low grade SS rods to weld Mild Steel is an old school trick my young welder picked up and he reckons it results in a cleaner weld too. The welds sure looked pretty! :wink: He mentioned grinding them back and I said DON'T YOU DARE!

Thanks bro, I'm posting like crazy to catch it up to current :-)

I'm aware that SS somewhat deteriorates when melted during welding so it is common to select a higher grade rod compared to what you're welding ie: using RM318LC Weldwell electrodes to Arc Weld SS316 - this way you don't get the weld rusting quicker than the parent metal. I'm not sure if the copper coated mild steel filler rod (exactly the same as copper coated steel mig wire) is similarly affected but using low grade SS rods to weld Mild Steel is an old school trick my young welder picked up and he reckons it results in a cleaner weld too. The welds sure looked pretty! :wink: He mentioned grinding them back and I said DON'T YOU DARE!

Hopefully they don't crack and fail :-(

• Like 1

Too polite to lift a cover but happy to deface/graffiti their door? :P

...interesting...

The juxtaposition of Run Free with two "cross-boned" AK-47's is a little odd to say the least.

The AKA on the rear quarters of the car is quite yuck, IMO

Otherwise though, you've done a fairly good job with the ol' Corolla shopping trolley. Good work.

• Like 3

Too polite to lift a cover but happy to deface/graffiti their door? :P

...interesting...

The juxtaposition of Run Free with two "cross-boned" AK-47's is a little odd to say the least.

The AKA on the rear quarters of the car is quite yuck, IMO

Otherwise though, you've done a fairly good job with the ol' Corolla shopping trolley. Good work.

The car under cover was under video surveillance whereas the door was not. I actually stood in front of it like a mug waving and holding up pictures of my car. I hope they realised it was me! In my defence I also left my business card with an apology note about the sticker as well as some un-stuck stickers for them :wink: Respect for cars but not for property...! I am looking forward to removing the rear quarter sticker but I thought it would take the Plasti Dip with it! I bought another can recently so it's on the job list... Thanks, this Corolla deserves a bit of love! I reckon it must be an investment (if I conveniently forget what it is costing to modify/build :badgrin: )