Samdash17's 1975 austin 1300-Discussion

samdash17

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel pump is on the engine and it might be having trouble sucking it all the way up from the tank. You can check by disconnecting the fuel line running into the carbs and aiming it into a bucket. Then crank the engine and see if its squirting. Also do the valve clearances (even just roughly if you don't have a feeler gauge). And definitely get a Haynes manual for it. Most worthwhile money you'll ever spend on the car. 

When my 1300 had an issue with fuel starvation due to fucked old hoses allowing it to suck air instead of petrol my son and I got it home with him reaching out the passenger window and holding up a lawnmower tank gravity feeding directly to the carb. You could try something similar to at least get the thing running. It might help to eliminate some of the potential faults.

• Like 1

Interesting,

Mourning Cupcakes austin wagon runs an electric fuel pump........ I just assumed they all did

But yeah a fuel issue no doubt

Also, in the event that you do find you have fuel at the carbs and it still wont start, its possile there is no oil in the pots on top of the carbs (when you look at the carbs, there is a black plastic cap on top that unscrews, if you undo these and pull them out you should feel a bit of drag on them as there is a tiny piston on them that stops the carbs opening up super fast, these are called dampers. there should be a little oil in there, if it feels like there is no drag, just drop a little atf in there and you should be good to go.)

However ignore that for now and make sure you are getting fuel to the carbs first.

There is not much that can go wrong with these gearboxes that can completely remove drive with out it making a lot of horrible noises!

Does it feel like its going into gear at all? 

Are both the drive-shafts connected to each side of the gearbox? (look down the back of the engine with a torch) 

Unfortunately unless it's a completely worn out clutch plate (possible!) you are in for engine removal to fix anything else.

How is the rust in the body? 

from what i can see both are connected , the person i brought it off said it did it once while driving so they got it towed home then once they got home it started driving fine again and then after that did this again so they parked it up for the past year and a bit, could it be diff ??????? and quite bad on the a pillar and side sills then just little pieces here and there , quite bad in the door and bonnet but from what i heard that doesnt need to be fixed for a wof????

My mini did the exact same thing was a combination of things the slave cylinder wasnt returning (poked) replaced that and when i bled the clutch found the line had collapsed internally. 65 ish in parts i found the clutch plate was seized to the flywheel locked in first key off and rocked it back and forth. Started up and was a good one mine sat for 3 years though. Unbolt your slave cylinder and see if you get drive while aimed way from fences etc.