Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont Big Grunty Discussion

morkster

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should talk to customs an state that the item is a warranty / damage claim.

This may or may not work as in theory you would have paid GST on the first item so should not pay again. (Not sure how good thier book keeping skill are)

But as you got away with round one you may have to fork out the tax like a good citizen.

Yeah just wary of it taking more time to deal with the paper shufflers.

I've resigned myself to paying up, have had a good run otherwise. I don't mind paying gst, it's just the BS 'biosecurity' etc add-ons that grate...

You never know where that camshaft has been....!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah me too... :)

A learning experience, change filter before rolling over (fucking obvious in retrospect).

Gave it a pretty good inspection after cleaning up the obvious crap, D cell LED maglite peering into everywhere I could see, picked a couple of small flakes up with a cotton bud but nothing really noticable. Fingies crossed...

Not sure about the Windsor motor but a good trick with the Cleveland was to run an oil line from the main oil gallery where the pressure switch is to the front of the motor and into the plug there.

it helps supply the front main bearing.

Cheers, yeah getting there slowly, would be much easier without other things getting in the way. It's hard not to get discouraged with setbacks and delays, main reason I started writing it up really -  bit of a driver to make progress. (Doesn't help I just bought another bike project).

Bit nervous about videoing startup as could be tempting a fireball...  :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

Just read your entire build thread, you have a great attention to detail and level of involvement with your car that makes me jealous I'm not as interested in putting in that level of effort in any of my own; good work. I look forward to reading about its fire-up.

A couple of suggestions to perhaps save you some time/effort in the future

- you don't have to baresteel everything to paint it unless existing paint is flaking or badly cracked. 120 grit sanded with a good 150mm orbital sander will give a great result in minutes (thinking how much time it looks like you must have spent on your sump!). I imagine you sanded it again after applying primer based on comments. You could have dust coated it with aerosol etch followed by thinned 2k primer and finished with color all at same time = no intermediary sand and quick start to finish time (total job should have been less than an hour if that helps to gauge?)

- clean your spray guns out every time you use them!

- for anything from the states, forget nzpost. Get a shipito.com account. They get awesome rates with dhl/FedEx etc due to their volume and you can fill in your own customs declaration after they bin all the actual invoices. Fast tracked through customs too. I get most orders 5 days after I place them (including a set of 17x10 wheels)

• Like 1

Good info, cheers for that...

Yeah I'm no painter so been a learning curve, learnt the hard way spraying thinners through gun isn't enough to clean it. :).

And sump was pretty bad so had to strip it, but will take on board your advice.  

I'm really more of a bike guy so been pretty interesting getting back into the old car. Hoping to get to the stage I can do everything on bike at home (incl painting).  And will def check out shipito, thanks for that...