Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont Big Grunty Discussion

morkster

my brother has one of those thumper cams in a 318. He wishes hed gone with something else now, its pretty doughy down low.

The fact it is deliberately designed to idle rough for wank factor, would suggest to me theres a better alternative that is more efficient and works better

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying your build thread. I've got a good mate who has a 302 XY fairmont that's been in his family since new, great to see them still out there!

Re the spray gun issue; I use a small, inexpensive  touch-up gun for painting car parts. They use very little air, have far less overspray than a full sized gun, with a small 125cc pot there's less wastage  and best of all I can clean the gun with only 1/3 of a cup of thinners.

• Like 1

That's a good idea. I pretty much just use mine for motorbike parts and pushbikes etc, so a touch up gun would be fine, probably better suited to my wheezy compressor actually...

Just back from Repco, picked up a gun kit that has nozzle, needle and air cap, for all of $10. That, plus the cleaning kit I grabbed should see me right for a while (all I do is lay down primer). Especially if I actually clean it properly, did some youtubing and I've been a bit slack in that dept... :oops:

Had to have been dropped. I've broken cams before (while wrecking engines for scrap) and it isn't that hard to do, just the right angle and they go ping. Dropped or shut in a door type action.

Super lame.

Otherwise great thread