Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont Big Grunty Discussion

morkster

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I will. Always wanted to slide a top-loader in it (love manual V8s) but as you say it's a bit different, and a 6 seater could come in handy for car runs...

Edit: not a split bench, proper buckets with a removable centre squab thing. The top bit pivots to make a seat of sorts or folds down for an armrest. Or you lift them out and there is a rudimentary centre console between the buckets.

ljr5kc4b.odt.jpg

Car is pretty tidy, just mechanical work really, apart from the expected wear and tear that I'm not worried about...

Swoon. Have wanted an XY Fairmont since I was a kid. Mainly 'cos a family friend had (and still has) one, a Copper Bronze, factory 302 T-bar auto, which he's owned since 1975.

IMG_2539_zpsmpuou0kp.jpg

Unfortunately with prices the way they are, it's looking like less and less of a reality of me actually getting to own one...

Yours looks like a really nice example though, keen to to see what happens with the engine

• Like 2

Nice whip.

From what I've read on the WWW, the eddy heads are bolt on and go at your own peril.

They say theyre full of sand, swarf, and that the valve springs are a bit weak. plus they say the valve jobs can be hit and miss too. 

So due dilligence before slapping them on. 

I hope youre fitting a monster cam, so you'll be swapping out the valce springs to match that anyway?