Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Gruntfuttock

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So all legal and been using it a bit, seemed to be going all right considering the rough tune, but after I took her out to a car show at Mataura it damn near run out of oil, The catch can was chokka and the plugs were a sooty, oily mess... :cry:
OMEbnN2.jpg

So depressing, immediately thought the worst, I'd somehow coozed the rings (perhaps with a cheeky skid as soon as I got it going). A quick compression check though and all cylinders were around 160psi, not particularly high but was a cold test and were all pretty close...
kEIrTiY.jpg

Then started thinking about what could cause the problem. Valve stem seals kept coming up, particularly as it gave a puff of smoke on startup, but they were damn near new heads. Was gearing up to pull a valve with the heads on for a look when some extra research led me to look at the baffles in the rocker covers. I knew there were baffles there...
hTeIOJ8.jpg

my8eV9H.jpg

MTB4PvO.jpg

This seems like it should protect the PCV valve well from oil splashes, but a theory is the small gaps at the edges create a high velocity draft that pulls oil into the baffle, and the folded ends means oil can pool there, getting sucked into the bottom of the carb. A cotton swab inside the hose at the carb end confirmed oil was getting through...
flMSWj6.jpg

It was an easy thing to test so started knocking up a bigger, flatter baffle after checking clearances with plasticine... 
curf8eh.jpg

And found a bit of suitable scrap...
aeiZYHZ.jpg

• Like 6