Moped NZ's fs50 Build

Mop Head

Yeah man, he'll be a jump king for sure. Haha. Just made a small clip of the weekends progress and uploaded it to Faceballs. It should be public: http://bit.ly/2fPhJL5

The first clip is with the old FA50 engine, which was poked, then the rest are with the FS50 2 speed after that. Still a while to go before he's on the road. But summer blats will be in order asap!

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, the tyres are too big! They won't fit bead on the rims. Not even 120psi could manage it. Had 3.00 x 10 on the front and 3.50 x 10 on the rear, nice michelin S1's, but they will just wait their turn for the FS50 when it's the priority again. 

SO! New plan is to get dirt bike tyres. Why? Because I've been following this build and love the look. This is from the U.K by a guy called Tony Gray. Introducing, Mud Slag:

gBCSaD4.jpg

and:

6gLwV6J.jpg

Lets see how this turns out...

• Like 2

Hey mate. They had imperial sizing. So above, 3.50 x 10 is meaning 3.5 inches by 10 inches. I don't think they exactly work out when converted, but if your rim is 12, it might be wider than these wee things. Look forward to seeing the rubber on yours.

Edit: just realised I forgot to add the width of the wheels themselves. Will measure tomorrow.

Yeah it's weird, the 3.50 x 10 has now pretty much beaded to the rear rim, I presume all the over inflation, etc has helped. The front 3.00 x 10 won't budge at all. So I'm still gonna use mud tyres. 

I got a set of Yamaha 6V indicators and chucked them on today, along with the normal front wheel just to get it moving. Made up a new plate mount and took it for it's first road spin. Holds 55kph mint as, needs a bloody good tune but I'm hanging on till the expansion chamber is ready to use. 

Here's how he looks today:

c5RqdhY.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Gary got dirt tyres and he's about to become a filthy FA69. 70 kit from 1977 mopeds is on its way. A few other secret plans on hand for the next month or so. 

Check out Moped NZ M.C on Facebook if you haven't. A few old schoolers there. Just search the name. 

IMG_4622.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gary is having some moments, that's for sure.

Ordered the 60 kit from treatland and fit the thing, ran mint for a little bit. Didn't have the right jets for the standard carb so I leaned it out a bit and had a blast, it was fun until the baby soft seized....

Took the engine apart to find minimal scoring on the barrel and piston, cleaned it up and snapped a piston ring putting it back together. Damn. 

Put the original barrel/piston back on to find that after every 3rd or 4th kick the motor would give a horrifying metal on metal squeak. I've managed to track down a new transmission/bottom end in Hawera which I'll get here soon hopefully. Ordering new piston rings too and gotta wait for them to come from the states. 

Sadly gary may not be ready for the weekends Auckland ride, but I may have another FA to chuck the seat on for the day and hold everyone up. Big thanks to @Shakotom

Garys seat looks good though. It's given me sweet inspiration for future paint work. 

I've also decided I need a legshield. Can anyone help out with one? They're near impossible to find...

IMG_6042.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so Honda Pal appeared for $200 so why not. Always wanted a '90s smoker and the shape of these is lush. Body work is okay. Engine is haggard. Will have a proper gander tomorrow and see if any life can be had from this epic acquisition. 

With any luck we'll be skidding away. 

Oh, got another FZ trans so I'll be taking that to pieces this weekend too. Imagine 2 bikes running at once? What a dream. 

IMG_6598.JPG

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 05/11/2016 at 13:52, MopedNZ said:

#mopedspam

My apologies for the mass posts, just getting a bit enthusiastic today. 

EJXld4L.jpg

The white seat from the fs50 has the exact same base and mounting point, so I chucked that on. The shock on there is one I promised Raizer a while back then promptly forgot where it was. I hunted around and finally found it today. So that will make it's way to him next week and I'll find something a tad shorter to use for the build. 

r4dKmc2.jpg

The chamber is just sitting in place with one bolt, a few mods will be needed to make it sit perfect but nothing major thankfully. Liking this look so far. He's handsome for an old boy. 

Hey @MopedNZ, how did this thing go with the AliExpress chamber? I'm thinking about buying one as a budget open for Rahn's FA. 

6 hours ago, Truenotch said:

Hey @MopedNZ, how did this thing go with the AliExpress chamber? I'm thinking about buying one as a budget open for Rahn's FA. 

Seized. Didn’t really make much difference as the engine couldn’t get ‘on pipe’ so to speak. I’d either use the MLM side bleed from treatland.tv or not bother next time I think. 

• Like 1