Moped NZ's fs50 Build

Mop Head

Oh now we're talking. I have that Ali Express exhaust. But chopped the mounting point off for the old engine and can't find the bloody thing now. Having a real exhaust could work wonders. The shock is alright. Not sure how much pressure it has, but it's a little adjustable and looks the part at least. Only tested a little and such. FOC as usual mate.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's been forever but this has finally come back up in the priority list with spring already here. I'll cut to the chase with photos:

Ib4qc4Q.jpg

Got a new aliexpress exhaust finally and it bolted straight on. Debating on whether to change the can's colour but all the paint will be sorted later. 

P9EHgXr.jpg

The new 310mm shock came after trial and error with another one. Would possibly like it lower later down the track, but the shock is set quite hard at the moment so that might change. Still much lower with me on it. Airfilter isn't final and is just to fill in space for now. I do have the original. 

gbhno8I.jpg

Did a 5 minute mock up with the rear carrier and combi brake/indicator LED light, not sure if I'll stick with this at the moment, but the plate holder is a nice touch.

4ZdnSKp.jpg

I still love the front light set up, aiming to stick with it. The front light is a combi indicator/headlight. The horns are my new favourite part. They are gonna be there no matter what. I've had them laying around for a while and with the new engine being 12v it's the perfect excuse to use them

6rZ5Bd9.jpg

I will be using these tyres, white walls and also gonna sand blast and powder coat the rims that are on it now. Black wins as their colour choice. Sticking with the original speedo/handle bar cluster too.

jRSQVq7.jpg

Aaaaaand one final close up of all her best bits. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Introducing, Gary: 

2nyzkhM.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh my. What a lucky man I am!

G4IBvqT.jpg

She's been sitting for the better part of 6/7 years, but she has been taken care of before being put up to rest.

qk7gdSK.jpg

So!

Welcome to Gary, which is also in the Suzuki F family. This is a huuuuge nostalgia throw back for me as my first ever moped was a snapped, and then welded together FA50 when I was about 12. The parents got it for my birthday from my Uncles engineering shop in Katikati, whom used it for their old yearly scooter race in the paddock. (sadly ended many years back). 

Everything about this FA is so mint! Sure, new indicators and a spring for the stand, but I'm thinking about leaving it a bit ratty. 

I have the old 2 speed FS50 engine just sitting here still, might pull it apart, swap some parts from the mint FA over and have me a 2 speed FA50, complete with small rear wheel. (Chopper anyone?) A workmate gave me an old pocket bike exhaust he had laying around which could be some fun to use on the franken fiddy. Otherwise I have another chamber exactly the same as the blue Ali Express one, bar a missing flange. 

A couple of photos below of the exhaust held in place: 

0KPst02.jpg

MHAIj8Y.jpg

• Like 7

Ah awesome! That's so cool. My best mate growing up, Kane used to race me on this when I had an newer SJ50 as my first form of transport. This has been stored since forever ago and we left over seas in 2013 to Thailand. (Got the moped bug there). Long story short, I came home, he still hasn't and Gary needed to disappear from where he was being stored.

Will have a full "get running" attempt this weekend.

• Like 1

Went to a mates and found half a bottle of gear oil, so I came home and changed it:

ube1xuN.jpg

Ended up with this coming out of the old oil:

6TNiOYP.jpg

Also found another reason why she wasn't a first pop kinda girl:
tqhS5OQ.jpg

Also tidied up the carb a little and put it back. Now I'm just waiting for the weekend!

• Like 1

Are you going to run a small wheel up front as well?

That was the original plan, i'm still thinking about it. I have access to a bunch of engineers at the moment too so might be able to fudge something. 

Although, I have been pining over a silly chopper set up. So, we'll see. 

Problem at the moment is the carb is constantly leaking fuel out of the drain hose in the bowl while running. When it's off nothing comes out. Does it both on reserve and main supply. I'm a noob at carbs except for taking them apart and cleaning them. Any one have an idea why that might be?

He runs well though, pulls so much nicer up hills with the 2 speed. didn't have a long enough straight but was touching 55kph on the old speedo, so probably a few less than that. 

ot9X9y5.jpg

• Like 1

Both my FAs did that

Solved one with a rebuild of crab, (new needle and seat) and still haven't got around to the other one

Small wheel FA with max slam would look lush imo. Might change my plans for my glitter FA and look for late model motor/small wheels now

Well, that's settled:

4P3VaOv.jpg

Small wheel build it is. This just looks way too amazing for life. I'm so happy!

Swapped the original carb from the fs50 (exactly the same OG carb) and the fuel leak is gone. I had cleaned that carb up back at the start of the year and it had been sitting ever since. 

Only issue now is getting the tires beaded properly. One side seats itself perfectly, and the other is out. Then vice versa. Had one bike shop in Tauranga get a little upset when they were trying earlier in the year and we couldn't manage it ourselves at home either. Once that's done, number plate time is here. 

Also will be putting the ali express chamber on hopefully too as the mounting points have been cut to fit this engine already, just need a flange made up and welded on. 

Who knew this late night idea would work out so amazing! Can't wait to see this handsome fellow all up and running soon!

• Like 2

#mopedspam

My apologies for the mass posts, just getting a bit enthusiastic today. 

EJXld4L.jpg

The white seat from the fs50 has the exact same base and mounting point, so I chucked that on. The shock on there is one I promised Raizer a while back then promptly forgot where it was. I hunted around and finally found it today. So that will make it's way to him next week and I'll find something a tad shorter to use for the build. 

r4dKmc2.jpg

The chamber is just sitting in place with one bolt, a few mods will be needed to make it sit perfect but nothing major thankfully. Liking this look so far. He's handsome for an old boy. 

• Like 2