Kicker's bandwagon AX100

kicker

Wooo, I got one of these now.

Cheers to Nick Ritchie for the pickup and storage and to Joe for ferrying it down for me.

Dereg and lots of surface rust, looks like it just sat in the back of someones shed rather than getting used.

I had a sniff around it today to see what it needs, the indicator flasher didn't work so I swapped it with one I had in stock, I found some mirrors I had with a matching amount of rust so they went on. Looks like the only things I'd need for a re-vin are a headlight bulb, front brake switch and a new front tyre.

Plans at the moment are to put a plate on it, buy a headlight bulb, front brake switch and a new front tyre.

Looks good in the pics but not so good in real life

upload_-1.jpg

New flasher under the seat, better indication (lewl) of the state of the bike

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 6

Been for a few hoons on this now, good fun.

Oddly I have more trouble with the indicator switch being on the right than the 4 down shift pattern.

It sounded like it had a bit of a knock when running, only on deceleration, so I whipped the cylinder off to check the big and small end bearings.

upload_-1.jpg

Everything feels good, piston and cylinder also look fine.

Internet says it could actually be related to carburetion, it only does it on deceleration (ie throttle closed or closing) and it surges a bit too so it could be leaning out. Pulled the carb apart but wasn't able to get the pilot jet out, looks like the slot has been worn down, hmmm. Might source a china carb, could buy a whole china copy engine including carb for $400, it's still rideable and for what it cost me the fucks given are low so I may not do anything.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 3

These things are great fun to ride and go well on the open road. 

I just learnt the battery needs to be in good condition for the electrics to be happy on an AX. I now have a spare one of everything from trying to diagnose.

Hmm, that's something I should look at. My head and tail lights have just blown again, after replacing them both a couple of months ago.

Hmm, that's something I should look at. My head and tail lights have just blown again, after replacing them both a couple of months ago.

Yup will almost 100% be the battery. I replaced the magneto, diode and reg and that did nothing. Even fried my coil from the voltage fluctuations.

My battery was only a few months old that's why I looked past it being related to that as i presumed it was fine. 

yup, these bikes use the battery as a regulator so a new battery will help. id also recommend trying bulbs with a slightly higher wattage, the light is dimmer but stops them from blowing. allowing for maximum maintenance-free commuter speccing.

this threads looking like an AGM of the AX100 owners committee!

• Like 2

Cheers for the heads up on the china carb.

My leccy stuff seems to be ok at the mo but will keep it in mind, might ditch the battery when it's time and try a capacitor and resistor setup, I have a couple of big suckers lying around that I have used before.

Got everything back together the other day, headgasket looked a bit haggard so left it out, just put some copper spray on the head and good to go.

Oh yeah, anyone got hook ups in Argentina? I found a source of expansion chambers, they go for around $100 for a nice chrome one, fucks knows if they are any good or not. I contacted them using google translate but they were all no senor to shipping overseas.

Might just have to knock one up myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently joined in on the AX movement, mine does that weird knocking on deceleration too, don't know what it is but mine doesn't fluctuate rpm when it happens. Runs fine so It's all good. 

also so many cheap parts on aliexpress. mine had a piston meltdown (got it and it was seized) bought a new barrel, piston, rings, gaskets and reed block for $177 to my door and it only took 5 days from china!

Mines also having all of the electrical woes as yours. It's a tad annoying to say the least huh

It sounds like they are a 'feature' of neglected AX's.

That's a pretty good deal for a top end rebuild

I think I found the source of my surging, I suspect it's a combination of high idle, tight spots in the chain and a decent amount of backlash in the cush drive.

I have lowered the idle and lubed the chain so will leave it at that.

One odd thing I found when sorting the front brake light switch was that while the boss for the switch was on the handlebar unit, it hadn't been machined through for use, so this thing never had a front brake switch from what I can tell. Anyone come across that before?

Thankfully it used the shitty slider type switch that most Suzuki's had in the 80's and due to these slider switches being shitty and therefore failing and creating demand for them, replacements are easy to find. So $15, 5 mins with a drill and file to open up the slot and screw holes and I had a functioning front brake switch. 

• Like 1