Lord Gruntfuttock's 1960 Nzeta 501

Lord Gruntfuttock

Massive shed day today, repaired a few bits, stripped heaps more parts and got the first layer of paint on while the weather was good. You make good progress without the wife and kids interrupting you every hour or so, the only break was when fat Jim (Southern Scoot) came round with beer... :)

Worked on my brazing skills on the brake cable cover.

zg3egwf2.w15.jpg

24kb5rcp.0rr.jpg

4tjywys0.tqq.jpg

And got the stripping down to a fine art now - hit parts with Tergo strip, scrape first layer off when it starts to bubble and repeat, wire brushing off what is left. Then a selection of brass wire brushes in the drill on the rust, and get what is left in the blast cabinet.

fi4esz4i.alb.jpg

Only problem is that stripper is pretty violent, it eats nitrile gloves and I lost most of my fingertips as the skin came off in great chunks after being exposed. At least I assume it was the chemicals, not my soft office worker hands rebelling at doing real work... :-D

om2lb4un.gue.jpg

should get a couple more coats on tomorrow if the weather behaves...

xkbt3mfs.hmt.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I have seen those.
The shape really lends itself to an electric scoot, sort of futuristic rocket/torpedo concept from the 50's. :)

I like how the power point plugs in under the fuel cap. Not sure if they're re-pressing body shells or fixing up old ones. If I had a spare one I'd look at lectrifying it, lots of room for batteries etc...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

So thread dredge, cos found some bits while lockdown tidying. Back in 2017 I stripped this engine mount, and hit it with some phosphoric acid before I primed it.

MHNZoGH.jpg

3 yrs later still not primed, but looking surprisingly good, although the mounting holes were still oval...
e7CQf7H.jpg

So cut some plugs and welded them in...
6PonLCX.jpg

and ground flat and redrilled...
WMX8ipE.jpg

Xv0OQ9O.jpg

Prob should prime this before it gets covered in rust. But some progress, at this rate it'll be restored in 2050'ish... :grin:

• Like 6

• 1 year later...