Jakesae101s 1985 mazda 323 rally car

jakesae101

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right Lets try this again after loosing all my post.

Right long time between updates got a new job , Married my partner of 7 years and had a 3 week honeymoon in Hawaii all of this meant that there wasnt alot of free coin for the racecar however shit has been getting done albeit slowly .

There has been quite a bit of redos along the way but its really close to finished now and im happy with 99% of it anyway 

Sump Guard in retrospect id mount it slightly differently and chances are ill make some different mounts at some stage but im happy as it is  for now mt3tu25l.eha.jpeg

Also mounted up some bright as spotties I had lying around 

cilv0u3f.ihj.jpeg

It also had a corroded hardline that was really easy to get and was only about 15$ to I replaced that 

3hvda042.upg.jpeg

There also happened to be a ka laser at pickapart so i got a couple of bits off 

sax01ir2.c04.jpeg

That small tab is actually a support for the water hard line mine was missing, the shifter i cut up and made into a short shifter that shortened things up massively as i was having clearance issues going into reverse once i installed different seats and a spare thermostat housing as it was way better than mine and you will see later on I was glad I got it.

Anyway there were a few things i wasnt happy with and wanted to tidy up my mate who is a MSNZ scrutineer and i chatted for ages and nutted some stuff out.

Seats , I was never happy with the drivers side mounting and my mate confirmed it wasnt up to msnz standard so out with the old in with the new.

3450hcir.f3s.jpeg

As it turned out this was part of a batch from autosport of kevlar seats that goot the FIA rating pulled as they reduced its strength in production leading to them having a tendency to snap in high impact obviously not ideal.... I scored a brand new racetech 4000W of the tard really really cheap so that's in it now i just cant find a photo.

Fuel Pump, It was sealed in a plastic container this was less than ideal it needed to be in a sealed metal one finding one at first that would fit was a challenge so i got creative.

r2wqghgp.kff.jpeg

ntut5cmp.1lt.jpeg

Turns out the old Facet wasnt much longer for this world so i was donated a much better, quieter and newer pump

c2auiqhu.vv1.jpeg

I also did a bunch of service and upgrade stuff in the engine bay.

New dizzy cap and rotor as mine were looking pretty sad 

veriphfx.xao.jpeg

Installed a new OBP catch can and Holley FPR with a gauge .

ky50cndx.shd.jpeg

Fitted Dual return springs to the carb 

umyhcve3.os1.jpeg

Next was onto the Battery i never liked the position of the old one as it was in the way for everything and i had no fusing at the battery end. I picked up a JMMS battery holder for a small battery and welded some 20x20 box to the body and high tensile nuts ect ect . Still needs some terminal protectors but its much better.

The beefier ground and cables also helped with my slow starter id get from time to time 

jndtjvit.tis.jpeg

Right onto this last month or so's project, I got my spare cam regrind by Franklin Cams after this I discovered to change said cam the head had to come off as they share bolts here is a photo montage of this, I got new gaskets and waterpump plus some hoses ect that were looking a bit rough and swapped it all out along with my spare thermostat housing as mine had gone porus and was seeping coolant.

dba1sl54.hbm.jpeg

2t202vhb.bsk.jpeg

vxpcxxoz.ii2.jpeg

4200ygom.3gv.jpeg

k5qmgygq.cyg.jpeg

f4w320fk.sl5.jpeg

moqk3ox2.ldh.jpeg

21imgbx2.hsx.jpegtt02dadd.zy1.jpegmcrrqis1.qjv.jpeg

5k0l4mze.vnq.jpeg

ri5etc45.ycn.jpeg

jbvpy5i2.qvs.jpeg

Overall things were really clean and tidy and can definitely say its been rebuilt and the bottom end is 020 oversize and it hasn't done a lot of work and everything i was told when I brought it seems true. At this point I put the rocker assembly on to find things didn't fit the arms were not lining up with the lobes, After looking at my manual turns out they had put a B5 camshaft and rockers in ( this is a E5) as one is camchain and one is belt driven I didn't even know it would work now cue trying desperately to find the bits I need. A guy on facebook said he had a complete head from a turbo one but the head was cracked really bad the turbo heads are different but the rocker train is the same. Cam helped me out as i was a bit scetched out by the dude initially as you do on facebook saying he has the obscure bits you need. Cam got the bits paid the dude for me and sent it down, I swapped my cam caps and pedestals over and all was good again aside from having to tap all the jam nuts as they had been way over tightened and didn't move free on the adjuster.

sd2xpz3m.bdj.jpeg

effnfopc.okp.jpeg

Went to drain my oil to run the full zinc oil Franklin recommends for cam break in and find this !

0css4xvx.c4m.jpeg

Down to supercheap for a replacement! 

All went fine il pressure came up and we ran it up and reset the valve clearances ( ill put a video up) it sounds much snappier now than before. I need to put proper coolant back in and swap my old rad fan switch back in as the one in my spare housing isnt working.

Lastly I finally got a proper mount and cabled up my launch control button so its in a usable place.

42dl34le.cl1.jpeg

Really needs to go on the dyno now so thats what im saving for.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So small updates been hoarding wheels and tyres after my holiday ill get the semi slicks and rally tyres put on them.

542fnfqe.phh.jpegpsaa1xc3.1hh.jpeg

mnpc42hr.reh.jpeg

xluhjxbk.2rp.jpeg

2dmj0zqv.svv.jpeg

Done some small things like a check valve in the booster line to help now that im not making so much vacuum 

axpjlugl.p14.jpeg

I took out the Lambdalink gauge and fitted a proper wideband gauge 

4d1zqx5p.o3w.jpeg

I ordered a bunch of jets and air correctors from the uk to try refine the tuning as its running rich on the mains 

ks0w1le0.4xn.jpeg

here is that seat that i put in too qkgh2mfu.ddz.jpeg

Today i dropped down ne main jet size and up one air corrector size its better and here is a video 

• Like 2