Dozydesmonds `74 Skoda S100 Restoration discussion

dozydesmond

yay.

for some reason these are the car i remember most from my childhood - we never had one, but there must have been a garage nearby (Blockhouse Bay) that serviced them or something, but i remember them because they were so different from everything else. Then they just disappeared probably around when Japanese imports became a thing.

me and my sisters called them pushmepullyou cars and would push each other whenever we saw one driving around (we did that most of the time, but it was a good excuse!) 

I think these were in NZ for much the same reason as Lada's - some sort of barter deal with the Czech government - butter or whatever for cars?

I think they are mean. More pics please.

My Gran had one of these. When my step dad went fishing with my uncle, he was quite surprised to see a fish go by the window during a river crossing to get to the spot...

That patina is awesome. I hear there's rally kits for these?

Sweet! As per comments above, pull the guards as they can go hideously bad aft of the front wheels.

If you're interested in easing up the appetite that these have for head-gaskets with the 1000/1100/1200 engine, and wouldn't mind having a spare 20 odd horsepower in your back pocket, keep your eyes peeled for a Skoda Favorit - Boxy FWD hatch that appeared around '91.

They use an all-alloy 1300 that first made an appearance in the 120L (The rear-engined model after yours) and quite literally bolt straight in, using their existing carb/flywheel/clutch.

Thanks for the advice on the rust spots guys, ill have a look when i get a chance :) 
as for the engine, i might know someone who can do stronger gaskets, as i really really want ti keep it as factory as possible :)

And as for having seen it on facebook, thats where i found it, and i fell in love with it (LOL last time i fell in love at first sight i ended really really badly so lets hope that this time is alot better. it should be, its a car and not a chick this time :D :D :D)
and as i have stated, i havn't made the swap yet as i have no tow car till next weekend. i can get a trailer no problem tho (Im in rangiora, its in cromwell...)

So as a little side project to be added to the skoda, I had a brilliant idea of how to use a retro radio but still a modern headunit (details in the build thread after plans are drawn up). If searched Google etc but I can't find much, so does anyone know what make or models of radio could have been fitted aftermarket to a nz registered car between 1970 and 1980?

So as a little side project to be added to the skoda, I had a brilliant idea of how to use a retro radio but still a modern headunit (details in the build thread after plans are drawn up). If searched Google etc but I can't find much, so does anyone know what make or models of radio could have been fitted aftermarket to a nz registered car between 1970 and 1980?

AWA, PYE  clarion are brands i know from then. i have an old radio that might be from the late 1960's or '70s looking for a new home, has period single speaker too.  Might be too old for you though.

i would rather not cannabilize  your period radio :o my plan uses the face of a retro radio from the period, some (ok more like 20-50...) custom 3D printed brackets, pins, knobs, etc, to transfer the commands from the period twin dials back to the modern headunit cleverly recessed back a good 5-10cm :) the volume dial will still be the volume dial, but the tuner dial will actually be a function selection knob: 'tuning' the dial will actually be sliding a cam or something similar back and forth, while pressing the tuner knob will press down the modern headunit buttons using a spring-loaded pin on the cam :)
Clever idea, do-able. and still looks retro, but with a MAJOR modern refit :D

Any particular models stick out in your minds? Deluxe models would look cool :)

• Like 2

Hey, great find you've got there! These cars are getting rarer and rarer now! How long has it been sitting for?  I recently bought a 1978 110L that's been off the road since 1995 and I'm in the process of doing up. It's good to see someone bringing another one back to life and in the same area!

• Like 1

Yay, more Skoda's on OS.

I've had a bunch of 110L and R's and know where to get a load of bits if you get stuck. Just don't tell everyone I'm a closet Skoda freak.

Headgasket's weren't as big of an isuue as people made out, just most garages back in the day never got the alloy wet liner motors together right because Skoda and socks and sandals brigade..

Currently I've got a 66 Sabre and a S110R stashed away, Favorit motor does bolt in, but there are issues like manifolds and cooling that need to be addressed.

In this country due to availability you're best to find a 120L and put the motor and five speed in as an upgrade.

Much chur.

FB_IMG_1420528085233_zpsufjlamft.jpg

• Like 2

I've got one of those already haha. Do you want a parts catalog? They are pretty helpful, have good exploded views etc. I ended up with 3 a few years ago, it's the same as this one:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=skoda+100+parts+catalog&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIguy3r4i_yAIViRuUCh2PygCp#imgrc=stHiEIKTldpGiM%3A