Dozydesmonds `74 Skoda S100 Restoration Project

dozydesmond

So guys, thought I would announce it and make you jealous even though I have yet to pick it up :-) I just found a `74 Skoda S100, so I made a deal with the owner. Pics will follow in the next post, but current information I have discovered is as follows:

Year: 1974

Make: Skoda

Model: S100

Owners: 3, two little old ladies and then a garage for 16 years

Kilometers: a genuine 57,335km :-)

Rego: lapsed

Pics and discussion link in next 2 posts

• Like 4

My plans for the are tskodao keep it as original as possible, a full factory-spec restoration, but with a colour change to the factory green, with a laqour coat to make it shine and stand out, any suggestions are welcome tho, just put them in the discussions thread

• 2 weeks later...

finally got home, AFTER 5 hours in the drivers seat (Dad was available to drive some of the way but i decided to shove him in the passenger seat. aren't i nice? ;) )

anyway, pics of the trip and of the skoda:

Woke in Omarama to this, couldn't stop giggling all the way to cromwell:

z5mlrwrx.b5k.jpg

Tow Vehicle (Kia Sportage, also mine) and the Vehicle we swapped for the Skoda (Ford Laser, my first car):

vafn042c.c1m.jpg

Laser Again, she got snarly so we decided to put a muzzle on her :P

fhz0bggb.ni0.jpg

Home now, looked under the seat, and found TWO, yes TWO(2) Original Skoda keyslots! (also note the unknown tool, its also a skoda original):

pkhrgdk2.a13.jpg

Poor wee thing. just needs some TLC (AND A TON OF FLYSPRAY FOR THE SPIDERS!!!)

wwdt5jza.drx.jpg

Behold, Original Skoda jack:

trwvtg0z.34i.jpg

Dash, Again:

g0pilrno.rkc.jpg

Assorted condition Pics:

dqv1cyjy.sz3.jpg

gd53ibh4.szw.jpg

wf4vbxnh.vjy.jpg

Will put up a basic todo list tomorrow, its too late now

EDIT: just found a set of snowchains in it too. SWEET

• Like 5

So got home after work, decided to give a mate a call to see if he wanted to help me. cue 3 hours of ranting at the uselessness of Czech Auto-Electricians...

anyway

got the engine to crank over without firing, but not from the ignition (which, as i discovered, was numbered, but not wired as the wiring diagram said :pukeright:). just jump-started the solenoid from the battery  :-)

also, discovered rust under the mats in the front, cue loud swearing, with answering swearing from irate/irritated neighbors...

anyway, todo list, as it stands:

(urgent semi-urgent can-wait minor aesthetic)

• remove spiders and rubbish, aswell as parts of the bush it was in for 6 months
  • find the rest of the rust (remove guards and check chassis rails, and remove the rest of the carpet)
  • source panel-steel (does anyone have any bonnets, boots, doors, guards they don't want? any make/model, just want them for the panel-steel)
  • cut out and replace rusted panel steel
  • sand out the surface rust and undercoat it
  • Replace the exhaust system
  • sort and lube the door hinges
  • remove and replace door-cards
  • sort the wiring (will redo loom myself when restored, that way i can actually make sense of it)
  • sort the ignition
  • panelbeat the dents out
  • drain and replace the oil
  • source the radiator leak (there was the equivalent of 8L of bottled water in the trunk, and the radiator was dry. make your own assumptions)
  • fix the aforementioned leak
  • fix the minor stuff (loose fittings etc)
  • get custom-made chrome grills, badges, and possibly other stuff
  • WILL ADD MORE AS MORE STUFF COMES TO LIGHT. WOULD LOVE OPINIONS :)

• 4 months later...

So, as many of you probably guessed, this project has stalled. BUT it will be revived soon, along with a couple of other projects being started (mix-n-match morris minor s-II, engine workshop, engine testing rig, DIY acid dipping, DIY engine dyno) :-) more info soon, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread

• 7 months later...

Alright :D project is now officially revived! So, couple bits of news, im renting a 6mx6m double garage for my projects (I picked up two Jowett Javelins and very quickly outgrew the driveway... 7 cars total...) skoda is first on the list, its getting put in there this weekend and started on straight away. Also, a few ideas, help me out here: vehicle was manufactured in Czech republic, so would it be cool or interesting to change the dash writing to Czech with English underwriting? I thought it might add some retro appeal :-)

• Like 1