Yoeddynz's 1975 Datto 120Y wagon restoration.

maddat

what an awesome coinkydink

also, rusty old shit boxes have the same "oh shucks ill love you and take you home" effect on you as kittens do on girls you

I was waiting for someone to read that bit on the for sale thread and then quote me. Caught out! Yep... when I saw the first photo that mum sent me of the wagon with us kids in and I notced that it was a two door I started to get a little 'mushy' inside at the thought the one in nelson might be ours. When she sent the photo of car with visible plate I got very teary eyed and clucky for the little Datsun and suddenly.. yes I do want it, I want it now, I want to save our little Datto..

Yeah... that old nostalgia thing eh...

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rub a grinder over the a14 (iirc a14's have it cast in raised letters, and fill the stamped pad with paint, and no-one will know. A15s have a taller block. Maybe a14s do too, its been a long time since I was swotted up on them) but only a complete anorak foamer would notice. You'd want to do the brake upgrade after revin for certain.

• Like 1

Knowing my luck I'll get some foamer, a stock car junkie.... "my son races midgets and I know an A15 when I see one sonny jim"...

You can fit an A15 without certification,

An increase in 25% of power or capacity is still WOF territory

125% of 1200cc is 1500cc...    Jus sayin nameen?

edit - I could be wrong as I'm recalling info from 10 years ago when I was doing WOFs. I forget.

• Like 1

Not quite old man. See below from the LVVTA website

Will my vehicle require LVV certification if I increase the engine size? 
Yes the LVV threshold table states that the replacement engine must be equal or lesser capacity than the OE engine so LVV certification is required

Will I require LVV certification if I increase the power of my engine? 

LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%. Adding a supercharger or turbocharger automatically requires certification.

You can fit an A15 without certification,

An increase in 25% of power or capacity is still WOF territory

125% of 1200cc is 1500cc...    Jus sayin nameen?

edit - I could be wrong as I'm recalling info from 10 years ago when I was doing WOFs. I forget.

Yay!!!!!!

Not quite old man. See below from the LVVTA website

Will my vehicle require LVV certification if I increase the engine size? 

Yes the LVV threshold table states that the replacement engine must be equal or lesser capacity than the OE engine so LVV certification is required

Will I require LVV certification if I increase the power of my engine? 

LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%. Adding a supercharger or turbocharger automatically requires certification.

Booooooo!!!!!

Oh well. At least for a fleeting moment I got to have a great feeling of excitement as I just read your post out to Hannah. It felt good as I suddenly started to picture all the 1500 cc engines I could fit.

But, thanks to Andrew, its feet back on the ground. Oh well.

Anyway- as Bart says, I can hopefully sneak an A15 past them at test time. Worst thing that might happen is they spot it and I have to swap back to an A12.

Hey btw Bart. This little car not only has drums all round but also lacks a servo. What are the drum brakes like on them if well set up?  Thinking about my olds driving it after hopping out from their Suzuki with a brake pedal you barely have to breathe on to stop.

Really keen on a servo/booster and disc equipped struts me thinks.

I hate clothes dryers.

It's partly because I get up so early my brain shuts down at this time of night, but it's only slightly more painful than masturbating with a potato peeler. I'm going to fuck with it again tomorrow night.

So Stoppers,

The drums work ok when in good working order. But they're pretty poos. For the hassle of making therm work good, you might as well find some B110/B210 disc brake struts. (I should ask Fruit Luke if he has any standard ones) They're also pretty shit. But they accept a very easy very good brake upgrade. 

two things you will need to do when fitting front discs is, Remove the residual line pressure valve from the front brake circuit. (This is a wee needle thingee  found under the big nut where the line to the front brakes exits the master cylinder) 

The other pitfall (At least with the drum brake B110's, so stands to reason that the front drum 210's would be the same too) is that the front drum equipped wagons/utes used a rear wheel cylinder with a different bore size. (To keep the brakes balanced with the larger fluid demands of drums over discs) Failure to change those can result in a rear end lock which wants to lock up before the front. (Great in a rally car, not so good on a wet road with a northstar V8 sitting in the boot)

A brake booster was a factory option on some 120Y wagons. If you can't find one of these, then the booster from a 180B (610) is the same piece. (Not saying some others aren't too, but those are the ones that I know for sure are the same) The B310 boosters are a bit different again IIRC. 

• Like 1

Cheers Bart. I'll ask about and see if I can source some parts locally otherwise onto Datsun forum. I can check the brakes but I bet all the cylinders need replacing so might as well go disc from the start. This is no different to Viva ownership as base Vivas have no servo and drums all round. Bloody glad that my Viva wag has servo and discs!

Im happy to re-vin it at VTNZ with the 4 speed and then swap over to a 5 speed later on as my local WOF man is a nice person. If I end up getting the original A12 before its ready to vin then I'll even fit that just to get through although Im told it might be a bit smokey.