Ash's 89 AYDUB11

thegreatestben

Just wanted to say cool build but then I saw what's happened to my red mr2. I sold that car to Harry :'(. I'm struggling to see how it could have ended up being wrecked. I had thought about removing the 7a also but car would still have been worth a few bob even with a smallport or 20v.

Christ :(

Also I dunno who Ben Down's is but that's not me.

Wow, shame to see Ben's old AW chopped to shit.  What happened to it???

Cool build though! This bit made me laugh though

The two main area aw's get rust is the front bumper iron and the wind screen sill.

A, B, and C pillars are worse :lol: 80's Toyota was not a good time for rust prevention

Just wanted to say cool build but then I saw what's happened to my red mr2. I sold that car to Harry :'(. I'm struggling to see how it could have ended up being wrecked. I had thought about removing the 7a also but car would still have been worth a few bob even with a smallport or 20v.

Christ :(

Also I dunno who Ben Down's is but that's not me.

Ah sorry man dunno where the downs came from, maybe confused with anouther forum guy.

Yeah I know. I felt really bad but I got it pretty much for free with the bc's, brakes and everything so I would have been stupid not to take it. Unfortunately it was around Christmas and I was changing jobs so had literally no cash to put even a ST in it. And then I was given a 2 week period in witch to do something with it.

If it helps my crapy car butching reason Harry had the shell with everything, reg on hold, cert plate etc on trade me and FB for some time with no takers.

He contacted me about as his mum was sick of it sitting in her one off st car park and said she would call the wreckers if it wasn't gone.

So technically it would have been wrecked anyway, just as a complete she'll on adjusties and all so at least it help some people out on its way out

No one wanted the shell, just vultures from mr2ocnz wanting rust cuts and panels :(

Then not even 3 months later Harry offered me the complete 7A witch really pissed me off, if I had the motor I would have swopped all the good stuff off my white one into it and restored mine to stock (I still have unmolestered panels)

It really pissed me off because it was a mint shell. Aside from some paint fade and butchered rear guards from Harry but that wasn't a biggie

The roof is being used as a sun roof delete for a road/track car

Boot and engine lid save one car on rust

Rear lower c pillars saved anouther

Side vents getting used to make duel vents on mine

What was left was sold to a guy to use as serious rust cuts for his miss's

I've still got all the glass and trims

I'm using some of the trims to make molds so I can make carbon copy's when I have more time (their ready to be gel coated, just need some carbon mat)

But hey it save 3 or more aw's from the wreckers and also some mint spares and gear for mine :/

Sorry man :(

watch that big throttle body doesn't hurt driveability down low (small pedal movement = bigger change in air delivery), you can cure this a bit by getting a throttle wheel with a bit of reduced ratio at small opening.

photo blatently stolen from my mates civic project outlines what I am talking about..

P1020707_zpsi5yi23uz.jpg

Yeah drivability is definitely a factor. Cars still retaining trim and suspension will try best the best of road/track and form

I have thought about the throttle braket and did find a place in AKL with a good selection.

Definitely want it to be road friendly still.

Yeah I did Ben. I took screenshots of almost all of your build thread haha

This is partly why what I still haven't decided on the turbo.

Want good top end to smash other cars but I still want it to come on quick

There's a guy in the states that ran 440hpatw with a c series box and standard BT head with a gtx2871r

I'm told by a guy that builds 7a's and 9a's a 2871 is good for 280kw but that I should go to a 32.

Want the car to come on quick though. Piha runs and Taupo raceway are my faves so it'll be aimed at being set up for those :)

Ah hey man! How are ya :) you get around to making that air box plate?

Yeah that's still here, needs a bit of tidying up and finally be getting painted with the bonnet in a couple weeks.

Duck bills quite heavy though for a track orientated car.

I'd like to make mold and make a carbon one but the mold would need to be two piece and a bit pissing around fixing the LED high stop into the copy.

I'll post up some progress once it's painted but for now I just want to get it running haha

I priced up a pair of "Vanner" branded AW11 seat rails out of Japan to suit Recaro LX, came to about ~$350 plus shipping through Stacked.

You can't just chop up standard AW11 ones, as you'll probably have noticed they are integrated into the seat frames.

I priced up a pair of "Vanner" branded AW11 seat rails out of Japan to suit Recaro LX, came to about ~$350 plus shipping through Stacked.

You can't just chop up standard AW11 ones, as you'll probably have noticed they are integrated into the seat frames.

Yeah I had a look at some rails I've got from the burgundy one and it would be ruff to try jimmy something up.

That and their +30mm to wide on each side so would need cross brace mounts

Sw20 seats fit pretty easily. Late model ones have recaros. Good luck finding any of those however. Ling post.

If SW seats fit easy then maybe pick up some recaro rails for an SW ya reckon?

I'd like to do it properly

Surely there's someone in AKL that I can take the AW rails to and get them to make some up to suit the recaros??

• 2 months later...