Honda CL175 from hell.

kdotlowe

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this bike.

Been away travelling. Rode the length of Vietnam on a 100cc Honda which was somewhat terrifying/exciting. 

9rtsDgN.png

61aplYw.png

Bike is currently with a friend having some minor fabrication work done. While that's happening, I'm prepping the engine (making it pretty). Hopefully have some progress shortly. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Did a rough assemble to get an idea of how the bike looks, the bars look like absolute rubbish but I just needed something to move the bike around with.

Ewg6q8Y.jpg?1

Seeing as my garage is full of CB360 parts, I'm going to cut down a rear fender to use on the 175.

p6gBJsN.jpg

Just need to fabricate a bottom mount headlight bracket, a battery mounting solution, and some new foot pegs and then I'm pretty much happy with the frame. Nearly up to the fun part of making everything pretty, and purchasing shiny new parts!

• Like 7

Decided to tidy up the engine by chucking on a coat of primer. 

SPw8Tfv.jpg?1

And mockup up the rear fender to where I'd like it to sit. Just need to figure a way out to mount it.

VGbxfRI.jpg

Hd1XvN3.jpg

Have ordered some new handlebars which should be with me in the next day or two which will give me a better idea of how the bike will look. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased and installed some new handlebars which I'm pretty happy with.
OgRQEI0 - Imgur.jpg 

Tbr9ui9 - Imgur.jpg

Also painted the engine. Going to get the side covers polished to a chrome finish.

O0BR26M - Imgur.jpg

I really need to finish up all the fabrication work so I can get the frame powder coated and start the process of reassembling.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Decided to go for a smaller rear fender. Now using a front fender off a CB360 rather than the rear.

Made some little brackets up:

aMfkKzb.jpg

Ready to weld:

M2f94BI.jpg?1

Mr.Vapour also blasted my engine side covers and a few other bits and pieces. 

Hit a wall now. I'm at the stage where I need to start purchasing new parts. Probably will look at getting the seat reupholstered next.

• Like 2

something boxy could add some staunch to its brat-ness too. I've seen a few builds now using the AG100 tanks which look pretty cool i think. cheaper than an RD50 tank (which are on aliexpress if you go for that look too) and pretty readily available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm removing the side cover badges so I've patched up the mounting holes with fibreglass. 

2lAFhRp.jpg

61urIgc.jpg

Also decided to try weld my fender brackets on myself.

lutTYLy.jpg

MxT8LPR.jpg

Considering I'd never welded before, and only had about an hours practice prior to doing this, I'm pretty stoked! Hopefully it holds. 

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty useless at taking photos and documenting what I'm doing. 

Started prepping everything for paint, body filling side panels and paint stripping the frame and brackets etc

59669cb5a7de8_Photo14-06-1784320PM.jpg.09903d81f6cff9fefced227013d580e7.jpg

59669cb2c8d7f_Photo6-07-1713938PM.jpg.1518f3f0ce57932c08434f7d85f18f5f.jpg

Will be sandblasting at home and probably painting with POR15.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...