Honda CL175 from hell.

kdotlowe

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is neat.

Sorry to hear about your weird running issues. That sucks that its still not diagnosed.

You must have put a fair boot in to break the kickstart shaft!

Also, how was compliance? Did you have plates and papers etc? Any issues with that?

• Like 1

arhh the joys of honda twins,

ive owned a couple of the early cb250's a k2 and a g5

the g5 ate cams, broke rockers, dropped valves, threw a rod,

the k2 blew 2nd gear, snapped the kick start shaft, holed a couple of pistons, and ate some rings,

cool bikes when running,  but was never sure how honda got such a good reputation,  i think it was on on the back of the c90

good luck. :D

• Like 1

This is neat.

Sorry to hear about your weird running issues. That sucks that its still not diagnosed.

You must have put a fair boot in to break the kickstart shaft!

Also, how was compliance? Did you have plates and papers etc? Any issues with that?

It's weird - I wasn't overly stomping it at all. Must've been 40 years of kicks taking its toll.

Compliance was relatively straight forward for me despite the status of the bike. The bike had no registration history aside from the plate attached and the old rego label from 1984. It is believed that it fell off the system or was deregistered between the transition from paper to computer records.

Basically I used the following things to get compliance:

• A signed declaration from the previous owner stating that I now owned the bike.
  • A letter from Blue Wing Honda declaring that the bike was imported by Honda NZ in 1972.
  • My original plates.

This was all I needed to get compliance and it went through the check easily. The next step was getting permission from NZTA to use my original 4 letter black plate on the bike. Although it came on the bike, there was no history anywhere that it actually belonged to the bike. The plate wasn't in the system so with a few email back & forth to NZTA they let me keep the plates. I had to provide photos to prove the plates were in good condition (gave them a quick respray). 

I went through Red Baron in Auckland for compliance and truth be told, they couldn't have made things any easier. They pretty much did whatever they could to help me get my bike back on the road.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

arhh the joys of honda twins,

ive owned a couple of the early cb250's a k2 and a g5

the g5 ate cams, broke rockers, dropped valves, threw a rod,

the k2 blew 2nd gear, snapped the kick start shaft, holed a couple of pistons, and ate some rings,

cool bikes when running,  but was never sure how honda got such a good reputation,  i think it was on on the back of the c90

good luck. :D

Definitely a good challenge! But the thing's so much fun when it's running so I would love to keep it - plus those pipes!

Is there a thread on the CORVETTE? I feel like there may be one but just can't stretch my mind that far right now

I wish I could say there was. It's my dad's car and not mine. Could probably start one actually - we've done quite a bit of work to it.

• Like 1

It's weird - I wasn't overly stomping it at all. Must've been 40 years of kicks taking its toll.

The similar vintage XL175s have an issue with the kick starter - to the extent I don't think that there's any NOS available anywhere. They don't have the option of electric start though. Push start only - which is where my CL50 currently is - at least that only weights 69kg dry...

• Like 1

The similar vintage XL175s have an issue with the kick starter - to the extent I don't think that there's any NOS available anywhere. They don't have the option of electric start though. Push start only - which is where my CL50 currently is - at least that only weights 69kg dry...

I've actually managed to track down one used and one NOS kick start shaft! But yeah thank god for the electric starter. It's far to hard to push start a bike that doesn't want to idle properly in the first place haha.

Nice pics, cameraman got skills.

Some bikes you never have issues with and others are absolute pigs. Keep up the good work.

Cheers mate, although they're just iPhone/Instagram photos haha.

And yeah I've definitely got a pig - but it's a good learning process and relatively cheap compared to my cars!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Told you it would be a slow rebuild. Started to pull the side cover off to inspect the electric starter. Honda definitely don't make things easy as I had to remove various other parts to get inside.

What's an old Japanese bike without some stripped heads?

3ZqTWdQ.jpg?1

Purchased one of these bad boys and managed to remove the culprit bolts. Will replace all the current bolts with allen heads when it all goes back together.

SnQDWXy.jpg?1

Unfortunately, the sprocket and chain connecting the starter motor to the crankshaft is non existent.

lm6ydxG.jpg?1

JD0Igyx.jpg?1

No idea why it was removed, but the starter spins when I short the relay so I'm assuming it's working fine. Need to try locate some cheap replacement parts as I'd rather fix the electric starter than split the cases to fix the kick starter. 

• 1 month later...

Engine on the bench, flipped & ready to be stripped down so I can change out the broken kick starter spindle.

BNuEPDC.jpg?1

Didn't realise I had to remove the clutch basket & everything behind the right cover.

iNnVsLs.jpg?1

Also didn't realise I needed a special tool to remove the oil pump - out came the angle grinder. If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid.

14kNAAW.jpg?1

Intimidating to say the least. Cases split relatively easy.

527yJxc.jpg?1

New kick starter shaft in.

i3zHPVd.jpg?1

Spent about 2 hours cleaning the old goo off the mating services so I'd have a nice bond.

WwupFmJ.jpg?1

And she's all good. 

Next step is to either get my carbs working properly OR buy some Mikunis and then ride the shit out of her!

• Like 4