Alasdair's 1974 KE25 Corolla

AALAWS

On 02/03/2022 at 11:54, Bananaman said:

Looking good mate, I am getting closer and closer to putting some of mine back together also.

You must be pretty stoked to be at this stage.

I have the added headache of trying to mount another sway bar up as the KE20 one doesn't clear the SR sump.

There's two types of KE2X sway bar.....the later one has more of a bend I'm it....will that work for you?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/03/2022 at 10:12, matt007 said:

Love the spit stands you made, where are you in New Zealand, would love to try making some for a VW resto I'm doing,  would you sell them... etc etc

Cheers - I'm in the Waikato. Didn't take too long to make them up. Was my first fab job so was pretty fun to do. They are custom made to fit my chassis specifically, height and mounts etc.....
I'll be holding onto them at least until the car is finished which would be a few years at this rate ha ha

Looking nice man!

Re rear wheel centering in the arch, could it be an assembly error?

• Leaf springs in back to front? Have you put the driveshaft in yet? was it 'too long'? Could use it as a spacing check?
  • Lowering changed pinion angle/more weight might centre? 
  • Angled shims?
  • spring/diff locating thinger not lined up?
  • Weird angle of the photo?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, azzurro said:

Looking nice man!

Re rear wheel centering in the arch, could it be an assembly error?

• Leaf springs in back to front? Have you put the driveshaft in yet? was it 'too long'? Could use it as a spacing check?
  • Lowering changed pinion angle/more weight might centre? 
  • Angled shims?
  • spring/diff locating thinger not lined up?
  • Weird angle of the photo?

Hey Mate!

I was so excited to get home last night and get her off the stands.......talk about wind out the sails!
The leaf springs can only go one way so that's not an issue.
I haven't got the drive shaft even made up yet and it's definitely not just in the photo......

The variables the way I see it are - AE86 Diff which has a wider diameter then the factory KE25, so the 2 inch lowering blocks will sit lower on the new diff than the old?
The leaf spring perches could be sitting a bit forward, but I'd imaging any variation there will be minimal.

The only other major variable is that is has the new floor, which was my first thought......is it too far forward?

I torqued everything while it was up in the air, as per the old Gregorys ke25 manual, but maybe I should have done that while on it's wheels?

looking at the pics, one side is worse than the other, maybe it's just a simple alignment issue?

IMG_0819.thumb.JPG.8d91411a231c718e1232d14253a0a7da.JPGIMG_0818.thumb.JPG.d226cb371f12d9c6288ea3bdef0d4d7b.JPG

• Sad 1

This is a whole new floor including mounts, right?

IMG_9690.JPG

Maybe the springs on this shell were different?

How far off centre in the arch is it? 

Options that I can see are altering the leaf mounts on the diff, or getting some new leafs made with the mount point in a different place.

You have a chassis repair manual right? Do the spring mounts measure correctly?

• Like 1

yeah - just went up to the house with my worker to measure everything up.
From what I can tell, everything is centered and aligned re: the chassis and the mounts etc, if anything the floor has maybe been put in a few mm forward, but it is even.
The tyres are different profile on each side so that is exaggerating the issue, but the axle is sitting a bit off centre........I think it'll come down to seeing what it looks like once all the weight is in the shell, maybe using a shorter shackle for the rear spring mount to pull it in a bit...

worst case scenario I get some new springs made up?

On 02/05/2022 at 12:32, AALAWS said:

There's two types of KE2X sway bar.....the later one has more of a bend I'm it....will that work for you?

I checked a KE30 one which has a dip in the front but it still didnt clear the sump :( 

I have some sway bar mounts being CNC'd at the moment. Once I have them I will post up a complete build process on getting it to work. Im a little torn as having a 26mm front sway bar is going to change this car into something else. What that is I won't know until the first drive which is going to have to be a tame one as I think it will just promote the back to break loose more!

Will also draw your attention to the donor car you got.

IMG_4843.JPG

Looks like the wheel position is consistent with what you have now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bananaman said:

Will also draw your attention to the donor car you got.

Looks like the wheel position is consistent with what you have now.

Good spotting! funny thing is that it is neither that floor or diff that are in the current set up, but noted the positioning of the wheel!
I'm just going to run with it until everything is built up and see where the dust lies.....

who would have guessed an 40yr old car and swapping/bastardising parts would be problematic ;)

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...