PBaines - 1985 AE86 Corolla Levin

pbaines

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that in the pursuit of trying to stop the annoying vibrations of doof doof subs, the previous owner thought it'd be a good idea to spray flammable foam in that void..

Kinda makes sense, I can see the logic however he could have fixed the rust in it before he filled it with 'blow up juice' haha.

The time that I had the car going for with the sub in it, it sounded really good back there so maybe it works a little bit.

Looking good dude, just come across your post tonight as haven't been on for a while. Other than the few issues that you've delt with it looks pretty good and few extra upgrades here and there, bigger brakes in one of the photos I see? You getting those new parts from a place called Tokyo Buy Go Go via yahoo with the website http://japanese-culture.ocnk.net/? Just recently ordered a couple of parts through them lately which only take 4 days to arrive from Japan, cheaper than trade price from Toyota here.

The brakes are on there are just standard AE86 ones though they are slotted rotors.
That place definitely has some good stuff, though I found the air con cover for almost 2/3 the price brand new on Yahoo! Japan. There's some really good deals on there if you ever find any. I use http://jessestreeter.com/ for my exporting agent. He's a top dog

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One thing with the ash tray - I found quite a few trim bits in the KE70s were actually black under the brown, a light cutting compound took them back. I guess its cheaper/easier to mold the ashtray in black, then paint to suit vs tool up for make them in all the various trim colours they had.

Interesting, it had a bit of goobeys on it when I got it, so gave it a clean off with some thinners. It started coming out a little blacker but will try some cutting compound and see how I get on. Will still try to find a black one, though i'm intrigued to see what some cutting juice will do to it.

• 1 month later...

Nah nah nah nah nah nah, 4age's love revs. Even with a factory ratio and everything standard they still do near on 4K at 100, that's just how they be. You will grow to love and embrace the RPM's.

When I bought my AE86 the previous owner pointed out the ~4000rpm "cruising" at 100km - turns out he never checked for a 5th gear... :wink: I got excited about a mean short ratio but he had already swapped the 4.3 for a 4.1 :(

Man I'm jealous of your Whiteline tail lights! I have the garnish but am on the hunt for the lights. I have done the cheeky red indicators on my Zenki lights - American spec  :wink:  That's one beautiful Levin you have there!

r6UJDV.jpg

• Like 1

When I bought my AE86 the previous owner pointed out the ~4000rpm "cruising" at 100km - turns out he never checked for a 5th gear... :wink: I got excited about a mean short ratio but he had already swapped the 4.3 for a 4.1 :(

Man I'm jealous of your Whiteline tail lights! I have the garnish but am on the hunt for the lights. I have done the cheeky red indicators on my Zenki lights - American spec  :wink:  That's one beautiful Levin you have there!

Yeah there's a 4.777 in there at the moment I believe. I have just got a 4.3 coming up from CHCH now that I will be putting in there as well as rebuilding it. Last thing on the 'major fix' list!

Have you checked Yahoo! Auctions? Bound to be some on there, if you get stuck give me a bell and can help you out.

But thanks!! Don't look in the nooks and cranny's though......

• Like 1

Interseting cert plate has no vin # and no # plate, does it go back for a restamp after vin or what?

I thought yo uhad to get a vin # assigned before getting a cert so it could go on the plate (at least thats what my cert guy told me for the 64)

Nice car nonetheless!

Interseting cert plate has no vin # and no # plate, does it go back for a restamp after vin or what?

I thought yo uhad to get a vin # assigned before getting a cert so it could go on the plate (at least thats what my cert guy told me for the 64)

Nice car nonetheless!

If you look ever so closely you can see i've used my maaad paint skills and blacked out the VIN number.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

Fuck this looks rad on street fins.

I like how you just throw money at engines all over the show lol. It's good commitment. 

I'm hoping that once they're both going I will think to myself it was worth it...

But yeah. Street fins look good, especially the CR ones on the rear. The fronts are ST's which are the most common

• 2 years later...

nice car mate, some cool photos by the lake. be interested how much of a difference that underlay makes I need to do something similar had thought of getting some of that kilmat sound deadening or do something like what you have done