The Aliexpress Special, aka Raizer playing with scooters

Raizer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah!

It's a hydraulic supply store and while they use to carry Elf engine oil they found no demand so now will only add a 20l to a bulk hydro order.

But have just been told pit stop here carry Elf and the owner is into motox and gokarts so will try them, failing that total semi seems to get good reviews and since they sell so much of it he gets a good rate so prices it cheaper than I've been getting the Castrol!

BCSMop6.jpg

Smells awesome at the very least!

Starting to do a thing

TGIsoJP.jpg

IqYYoz1.jpg

Fuck it's hard to get these things clean!!

Going to split it tonight I think, plan to clean up some of the case porting, new bearings and seals (will text/pm you some numbers later today Mr. Grumble) and I've got a few other ideas kicking about in my noggin that should work out interesting...

• Like 1

Did more of things

Hunted around a few shops in town this morning for case sealant, only thing I could really get easily was Yamabond 4 ($25) or Threebond 1211 ($90)...

NvZ4oc2.jpg

Then I did this
mwCn1ba.jpg
bpPFt3c.jpg
qJMCHQs.jpg
bzT6K33.jpg
utCTocD.jpg
Bit gummy, funnily though the other case half is spotless!

X48YeGJ.jpg
Feels well made to me, no rough edges etc

lQ3iNZe.jpg
Big end feels perfect, no excessive play.
Gave it a clean with brake cleaner, blew it out, poured 2t oil all over the bearing and spun the rod to work it in to the bearing to keep it protected from rust.

xD2TBtz.jpg
Intake should benefit from having all the casting seems cleaned out of it.
Tapers from 19mm at the carb to 25mm at the reed block.

Plan at the moment is to not go overboard on porting the cases, just to take out all the casting marks and smooth out any sharp edges along the intake path.
New C3 bearings and good quality seals from the fabulous Mr. Grumble and yeah doort.

Bearings in it for reference are a 6006 and a 6204.
Seals measure at 22x40x7mm and 17x27x7mm.

• Like 1

Just realized I didn't take any pics of the small case after I had taken the crank out.
Took a few now

L5pVFJ2.jpg
sx5uSGo.jpg
OkAC5J9.jpg
It's in my washhouse soaking in a bucket of hot soapy water to try to loosen more grime lol

Shouldn't be too bad to clean up rough bits with the dremal.

• Like 1

Nothing too exciting, I have started cleaning up the casings with needle files and sand paper, not going to take much more out but it's looking a bit better to me!

Before:
OkAC5J9.jpg

After rough shaping, still a few little bits to shape up and a bit of sanding to go:
a78aI2H.jpg

Stripped the gearbox, think one or 2 of the bearings could do with replacement, so I'll most likely just change the lot.
swjvBrA.jpg

Speaking of bearings, VG has hooked me up with a great deal on the crank bearings, seals and a nice 1/4" torque wrench to put the engine back together with, think I'll need to shout him a couple 3L juices in return :tongue:

Pulled the flywheel and stator off the UZ50 Let's 4 engine I've got here, the 8 pole stator has the same 2 wires as my stock 7 pole and fits right in my case, it's only one more pole but it all counts right?
OKPdkMs.jpg

And I managed to get the small case half that clean yesterday it stood out like anything compared to the large case, so much to the Mrs's dismay I've got it soaking in a tub of hot water and cleaners in our washhouse haha
LUzMpB2.jpg

Have gotten a lot deeper into this project than ever intended!! :badgrin:

Edit: It's now 11pm and I have spent most of my Friday night scrubbing my engine with a toothbrush...

Dawned on me after a while that it was clean and that Suzuki had painted/coated the engine in an alloy colour when it was made, the dirty spots I was trying to scrub off are clean raw alloy that looks dirty in comparison to the coating lol
I see some high temp paint in this engines future!

CYFkCmH.jpg

• Like 1

As much as I hate getting woken up by a courier pounding on the door first thing on a Saturday morning, I love getting new goodies lol

dHv9B26.jpg

Those jets are apparently worth there weight in gold!

And where I've stopped on the cases, just going to clean up my sanding marks.

I didn't take as much off the large case, there far from symmetrical and I didn't feel like it needed much taken off

RTItMHD.jpg

pzTcPPk.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly it's got a MUCH lower Aliexpress part and a much higher wallet raping part content than I had originally planned, turns out if you want to build a scoot from Ali bits you really need to start with a Yamaha!

Had a play with the carb and a spare throttle cable, throttle etc to see how much of a mission it will be to fit, looks like it should be fairly easy really.

Need to drill it and press in a fitting for a vacuum port
NTyQA12.jpg

Stock throttle cable inner is way too short!
jg72W81.jpg

Easy enough to sort out though, I cut the end off the stock inner and also from the long green cable I had brought from Aliexpress and slipped it into the stock outer
mGe2SrB.jpg
Just need to figure out the right length of cable to for the carb then cut it and add a knarp/find where to buy a knarp.

Also removed all the bearings and seals from the gear box, this one wanted to be an absolute cunt to get out!!
tcmo7mK.jpg

Forgot to take pics, but I used an m12 125mm Dynabolt and made a blind bearing puller/slide hammer contraption out of it, bit of heat + a bit of brute force and out it came!

So need 3 more bearings, 2 more seals, maybe some paint and 90ml of good 75w-90 or 80w-90 gear oil and I should be able to start putting this bottom end back together.

The other day I pressed the engine mount and shock bushings out of my case halves, cleaned up, tested and fitted an electric choke to the PHVA and I've scrubbed up all the plastics and other parts for this engine.
Test fitted the carb to my manifold and found that the manifold inlet was a tiny bit smaller than the carbs throat

uqYW1HZ.jpg

Spent some time with the trusty dremal and ported the manifold to suit.

Couldn't find a source for cable knarps and wasn't keen on payin $35 to have an end put on my accelerator cable, so I found a bolt with a 6mm shank and drilled a hole in it

CjqYkfj.jpg

3M6QgKN.jpg

Stuck my cable through and added an electrical crimp

RnQeLhh.jpg

Bit of solder

lGuSPtM.jpg

Then after a bit of grinding I had a fully functioning cable

5AlWVWB.jpg

Attacked the inlet with the drill too

siNViMX.jpg

And now it has a vacuum port

ihY1DD9.jpg

zJhXYuR.jpg

Combined my lightest clutch shoes with the best backing plate and bell I've got and swapped them in, much better take off!
And of course just because I'm changing carbs soon I've almost got the tune nailed on the Keihin :doubt:

Ordered in new engine mount bushings, I cross-referenced the size and found there used on a lot of Honda scoots and unlike Suzuki, Honda had them in stock in NZ and got them for me overnight for less than the price of one bush from Suzuki.

5JgttWA.jpg

Couldn't get a shock bushing though, but the Let's 4 parts engine I've got sitting around came through for me again with a like new bush, so I pressed it out and fitted it to my engine.

Spent way longer than anticipated masking off all the gasket faces and bearing seats etc last night

BFddoDH.jpg

Then a good wipe over with wax and grease remover followed by a few coats of paint tonight

3ndYv5P.jpg

5biF8wG.jpg

Struggled to get a good pic of the colour in the shed lighting, but it's a charcoal metallic and I think it looks pretty sweet!

rxEwuVZ.jpg

Just waiting on my bearings and torque wrench to get here from VG then I can start assembly :iconbiggrin:

• Like 1

Yeah the "energy efficient" 6006 has a poly cage, I'm unsure if I should run it or go for a steel cage now?

Steel might be safest in the long run, it seems some kart guys run these bearings, but they are rebuilding there engines a hell of a lot more often than I ever plan to!

Also I kinda destroyed the steel covers when I pried them off haha

Edit: Malossi rebranded bearings for Yamaha engines reckon "phenolic resin cages with material based reinforcement"

Spending a bit of time on the masking payed off

zpfhKThl.jpg

After a LOT of searching I managed to find a Street Magic workshop manual online, so now I've got all the torque settings for the engine.

Good thing I didn't just go with Yamaha settings as the Suzuki ones are a fair bit lower.

Today has been another clean and paint day.

Er2QRhG.jpg

17xmE2A.jpg

Fought the urge to paint my carb!!

I'd noticed that both my engines came with after market variators and that both had not had the CVT fan refitted, well yet again the 4stroke came through for me with a good fan and like new kick starter crown etc!

p5FWRhC.jpg

Also cleaned up the fixed pulley.

Decided that scrubbing it with a brush or even sandpaper just wasn't going to cut it, I needed something a bit more hardcore!

I needed a way of both cleaning the pulley AND gambling with death/imminent lose of digits...

pQ3bRfo.jpg

Can't argue with the results and I only needed one small plaster!

The rest of my bearings and seals should be sent tomorrow (cheers again VG!!), so all going well I'll be able to start assembly on Tuesday!

Fingers crossed my next update will be more exciting :oops:

• Like 3

D6QcPAO.jpg

Now what could be in there??

C0aHxuU.jpg

:-D :grin:

H87XFlC.jpg

All the jets and needles I should ever need!

KxgkPF5.jpg

Contras

xh55bW4.jpg

Rollers, small end bearing, oil line and some gaskets etc.

Then there was this little cooler box

08RP9GX.jpg

Mmmm special bologna...

This is why I've been putting together a decent bottom end with good bearings etc!

AcWgaLZ.jpg

HThptxT.jpg

SAhOEzX.jpg

47mm bore "70cc kit", with the short Suzuki stroke it works out at just on 68cc.

roUmZ0G.jpg

Dunno why the reeds are different colours??

And the most important item of the lot

PQoz7pK.jpg

A new box for Dewey haha

• Like 2