The Aliexpress Special, aka Raizer playing with scooters

Raizer

Mixed up a couple of litres of fresh 32:1 fuel and attempted having the thing run more than 3 seconds, it looks like my fuel tank is only around 2L at most, so will need to do something about that ASAP.

Getting power from the lighting circuit

And the charging circuit

Whacked on the Chinese 4 stroke exhaust on just to shut it up for the neighbours

t7qanad.jpg

#Mild Boso

It wouldn't rev, obviously very lean, blocked off 90% of the carb inlet but it still didn't choke it enough.
Also I wasn't sure if it was getting fuel, so whipped the carb off, at first glance it looked like a bit of crud in it from sitting around, so will strip it down tonight and hopefully give it a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner at work tomorrow.

*Am in the process of stripping it at my desk, mmm the lounge smells like 95+Motul...    Main jet was 100% blocked solid with crap.

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for what its worth, i used to buy 'dead' scooters on trademe for cheap, ones where the auction said 'ran fine when parked up two years ago' because every single one of them had blocked jets from 2 year old fuel gumming up. 

used to be a good profit machine, but i think people have cottoned onto the fact and it doesn't really work anymore. 

• Like 1

Yeah I missed out on a "dead" Jog the other day, went too high for me in the end though.

So yesterday I put the carb back on, fired it up and it runs much much better!
Took it for a quick lap of the yard and other than desperately needing a much bigger main jet it goes damn well!

Then I stripped the makeshift wiring, seat, 4 stroke exhaust and rear shock off it.
Cut a piece of tube and hard tailed it at just above the point where the rear spring bottoms out.
oLrF2Kz.jpg
Now to enlarge the fuel tank to fill the gap up, then once it's back on it's shock I know it won't have the tank hit the carb if it ever bottoms out.
Also trying to find a comfortable seat position for me.

yvJDG51.jpg
Tons of room to take the top of the tank up!

Been scavenging metal to make bits out of, for some reason the idea of steel mesh foot boards is appealing to me.
wvUhAoM.jpg

Also just brought this off trademe...

oDWVZyO.jpg

And the SJ was begging for moar fuel

KprRtth.jpg

-bit looks huge, it's got a bit of inox on it.
Went from a tiny 0.525mm up to a .70, thinking it could still go another .05 at least.

• Like 1

Super easy man, had a spare 60 out of the ZZ carb so drilled one to 65 and the other to 70.

Going to drill the 65 to 75 tomorrow.

It's a gamble if you don't have the right gear, would want at least a good drill press press with minimal run out.

Aliexpress for the bits too, they are $20ish on trademe, I've got the same set coming from Ali that I paid $2.50 for.

I think the reason why they say drilling jets is a gamble is because most people have more than 1 carby. So to get 2 drilled jets identical is probably not going to happen, but if you only have one carb the "sweet spot" is big enough that inconsistancy isnt really an issue.

Though that aliexpress deal seems like the go tbh

• Like 1

I just ali expressed my new jets, it was 9us including postage for 10 or 12 different mikuni sizes for my fr50. Super quick postage too which i was surprised by.

What was the exhaust worth?

Will have another look if there's any 4mm Keihin jets on Ali now.

Edit: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4MM-whorl-DIO-Two-stroke-Motorcycle-Keihin-carburetor-CVK24-26-GY6-50-80-PZ19-main-injectors/32366833009.html

Sorted!

Was only finding the more common 5mm jets the other night.

Won the pipe for $100, so even after courier and paying my mate a box of beer to pick it up and send it to me it's cheaper than the aliexpress pipe I was getting!

• Like 1

Ordered 90, 92, 95, 98, 100, 102 jets, and asked how much it would be for 2 to 3 more added to the order.

Just got a reply from the seller:

Hello friend,

As you didn't tell me what other size you want I have just now sent you 88.90, 92, 95, 98, 100, 102,105.108 jet.

No extra payment is required.

Thanking you for your patronage

Mike Wang

Can't complain at that!

Started hacking up the fuel tank, remembered quickly why I gave up trying to weld!

No pics as it's real bad lol

/think the case from the in law's old microwave is a bit too thin, so will find some 1mm tomorrow.

Tank, take 2. And yes I am well aware my welding sucks!!

Plan is to bribe a friendly plumber I know with beer to solder over all the seems to seal it.

Cut along the top and folded it down, cut a couple triangles to fill the sides

8ZCcuAf.jpg

Filled in the back with a strip of steel.

y6MIeKJ.jpg

Chopped the top out

qAPEAf9.jpg

Finished up here

rMawJnG.jpg

It's just over 4L now, have an idea to gain another litre too.

Amazingly I only found 4 leaks!

Spaced the front of the seat up for clearance and because the front was down a little bit lower than it's meant to and it felt like I was going to slip off the front of the seat haha.

Still plenty of room on top of the tank for my CDI box, reg/rect, small battery and flasher unit if I decide to put them there.

Mr. Grumble, what did you do to secure those studs in the base of the seat?

Wouldn't mind adding a few more to add some form of locking mech to hold the seat down.

Got a snap last night, my mate picked up my exhaust after work yesterday, so I really did score a like new Stage6 for $100!
QCddQDG.png
The seller asked my mate to warn me that it's very loud grin.png
Hope to have it Tuesday.

Today has been somewhat productive, as I'd gotten seriously sick of having to lean the scoot against a lawn mower or what ever to work on it my first mission was to make a stand of some sort.
So using the Sepia ZZ centre stand and a few off cuts I came up with this ugly but strong and functional mess
qAzG7C6.jpg
Will keep an eye out for a stock AZ one or see about getting something a bit nicer bent up one day I think!
/Make a side stand

Next was the pegs, got them in a comfy spot where I can have my feet up or have my toes up on the pegs and heels on the frame (might add a pair of heel rests)
el5ZKnU.jpg

4L became 4.5L
wzpadOh.jpg
Still need to grind the terrible welds back and think I'm going to try silver solder over them to seal off the few leaks.

Started mocking up the petcock location, had to twist the fuel fittings around but it'll work.
6LbG8SX.jpg

And as it sits now
TXMFJYd.jpg
Still not entirely sold on the look of the seat.
xUd88Re.jpg
Those bars are temporary, just whacked them on to get a better idea of seating position, the straight bars were way further forwards, plan is to use a BMX stem and bars.

Still not sure what I'm doing headlight and control wise yet.

/The ZZ seat doesn't look too out of place to me, but would mean the fuel tank would be totally exposed/could be replaced altogether with a larger one.

wb3zfcE.jpg

• Like 1

Will keep those ideas in mind!!

Today I went from this

gsszD0C.jpg

Stunningly ugly pair of factory bars, clearly designed to be buried under a ton of plastics.

To this

G2NOLFs.jpg

7rXsTu4.jpg

Jeah Haro!

Now I just need to find a rear brake lever, throttle, longer cables, grips and bore out the clamp on the master cylinder to suit the 22mm bars.

• Like 1

I've ordered a pit bike clutch lever with starter cut off switch, so that should do the job nicely for the rear brake.

There is a few sellers on Aliexpress that will do scooter rear brake cables made to custom lengths for about $7US, so I'll order one as soon as I finalize that bars I'm going to use.

Exhaust arrived at work this morning, first thing I did was cut out the restriction tube!

FADcvTt.jpg

Test fitted it

stoO2OL.jpg

Sure looks the part imo!

But of course it's never that easy for me...

L3rBk2O.jpg

Shouldn't be a major to get sorted out, I hope.

Local radiator shop reckons worst case $50 to weld a hose barb onto my fuel tank, pressure test it then braze up all the leaks.

I think he's underestimating just hole many holes I've managed to weld into it!

But hopefully that will be done tomorrow.

0sZL3Vd.jpg

Thinking that even though there comfy, the bars are probably a little high, these might be a bit better

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=948277550

• Like 1