GreenTC's 1978 Triumph 2500TC.

GreenTC

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be the fuel pump itself that's having trouble keeping up, perhaps a torn diaphragm or hole, etc. Alternatively there could be a blockage in the line or the tank/pick-up. If you don't have too much gas in you could try draining the tank to see if there's any sediment in it and if there is, blow out the lines and get the tank cleaned and sealed.

• Like 1

i was going to suggest torn diaphram in the fuel pump. the level shoudn't fluctuate. it should be 95% full all the time. since you've had it apart you should check all bolts for tightness too. it could be sucking air. although thats usually a constant issue, not intermittent. have you got oil in the carbs too? 

lovely car by the way. i love mine. really, really love it. they're so underrated and have so many features for a classic. i've never seen one that colour look as it should. the CHCH ones that colour are faded to fuck and resemble bile green. i get shit for painting mine blue and orange but i have no regrets. yours has history to your family thats cool, mine was a 1500buck fixer upper! 

• Like 1

Have you taken the tops of those SU carbs yet? the slides get carbon on them, a very small amount causes them to run like shit, when you are starting in the morning and it dose a chuff back through the intake it makes the slides dirty.

I have had six 2500 Triumphs, I had major problems with one car witch turned out to be a worn bush in the dizzy, the fuel level in the glass fuel pump will change often, when you stop on a hot day they back feed into the tank and it will empty. 

• Like 1

was gonna say fuel pump issues too had similar issues on my 125, (fuel bowl in the malpassi regulator emptying) - swapped in a new mechanical pump & done.

Im running sideys now too and ive added a small (low pressure) Facet pump by the tank as well which seems to have done no harm - certainly makes it easier to start if its been sitting for a while.

while you are there what about adding a drain back valve to stop the issue SOCH noted?

Cheers for all of the quality suggestions. However I removed the fuel line into the carbs and shes pumping a decent amount of fuel through. I dont think the line is blocked either as when I removed the inline filter there was good clean flow. 

My next guess is possibly the condenser. I've heart a faulty condenser can cause similar issues to what I'm having. 

I've ordered HT Leads, condenser,  Dizzy Cap, and will see if that helps it. If not fuel pump diaphragm will be next. 

I've also gapped and slapped some plugs in it. 

Neal, how difficult is the diaphragm swap?

If neither of the above options help the carbs will be getting looked at. 

Swapped the coil out this afternoon, it now starts but runs like absolute shit. Whole engine shakes and the engine is quite hesitant. It dies if I don't give it gas. The coil I put in today was an old one, I've ordered a new one for the sake of ruling it out as a possible cause.

I don't think the timing could be out as I haven't touched it.

I'll check valve clearances over the weekend as well, mainly because it's about time for them to be done.

Sorry, I was meant to reply to this a while ago but forgot.

Fuel pump diaphragm replacement is pretty easy. Just remove the pump from the engine, replace the diaphragm and seals while it's out of the car and throw it back on.

Have you checked the float bowls on both carbs? Remove the three screws holding the lids on and take a peek in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Hayabusa engine will have a frame around it, as well as some wheels, electronics and all the shit to make it work as a motorcycle. I was a motorcyclist before I was a Trump fiddler unfortunately.

As much as I'd love a FREE rusty trump body shell on the front lawn, I'd probably be killed. I've got nowhere to put one or work on it yet.

As far as the wood goes, that was a good condition dash that came out of a 75 2500 at pick a part, I just rubbed some Neopol on it. Have a go at doing some veneer, and then let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

Fair bit of TC action in Te Awamutu today. I quite liked the look of the below yellow sedan which was being driven by a couple of older guys.

A5jDzdTh.jpg

nLucpQ2.jpg

Also saw this 2500S being towed north past Hampton Downs, looks like it might be a good project for some lucky bastard!

evi0Qo5.jpg

• Like 1