'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup some surface rust in the boot, and he wanted to look at the spot welds on an old repair (which turned out to be as tidy as, if not better than stock).

I suppose it's the compliance inspector's job to be thorough, otherwise their inspection authority is on the line if they pass a car and it suddenly breaks in half on the motorway.

The guy who signed off the Rx-7 all those years ago was much, much worse in terms of dictating repairs.

Of course I doubt they're as strict on newer cars as they are on the classics, but in the end you know you'll be getting a fairly tidy car with few or no surprises lurking beneath. They even go as far as to measure up all of the chassis points to make sure cars aren't crabbed or otherwise completely fucked.

Sweet man I'll clean EM up and take some snaps tomorrow.
My aw came with them when I bought it, I don't know much about them, thought they were an option on FL??
Maybe not, I know my car had some work done years ago

Mine also came with 18mm front sway and 14mm rear sway.
I have what I think is a sw20 18mm rear sway here too??

From what I've read on the internet, rear swaybar was initially an option on all facelift AW11s but halfway through production they ran out of strut carriers with the attached link tabs. 14mm OD for supercharged models and 11mm OD for N/A.

Oddly enough, pre-facelift ones all had swaybars from the sounds of things.

• Like 1

My mate Kris's AW (yellow one in my thread) is pre facelift and had factory shocks when he got it. The left rear had a tab but the right rear didn't have a tab haha

They were definitely the factory shocks too.

Definitely seems like something went astray when they were putting them together.

I know a lot of parts are shared with other cars. The rear hubs are the same as a FWD Rolla.

Maybe the aw ones were ment to have tabs but ran low and grabbed some shocks ment for anouther car until more with tabs were made??

That's fine, the numbers wear due to age even though they are stamped into the metal. The struts I got off myk00l were the same, even with all the dust and grime cleaned off them I can't make out the full part numbers.

However - if you can measure the strut carrier outer diameter below the spring perch, that would be useful.

Here's an example of the P/Ns from the pre-facelift N/A struts I got off NickTheFox:

20214363772_38a6405c16_c.jpg

Yup, I own the plates [8OSKID].

One theory which makes the most sense is that a previous owner had driven onto a parking bollard or something and damaged the crossmember.

Upon close inspection the front lip looks almost brand new (and is a slightly different blue from the lower valance metal) plus there's no damage to the frunk floor which sits much lower than the crossmember but is located further back.

lol oh man that car looked tidy as. My car is doomed when it gets here LOL

Man, hope not! I suppose if Shane/Ewan checked it out then it's better than buying it completely sight unseen like this here MR2!

• Like 1

I hope your AE86 doesn't turn out to be too bad. We've pretty much gone over the AW11 top to bottom and identified all the areas where rust is present. Apart from what we've uncovered the rest of the car is sound, although there are a couple of places where some Brunox definitely wouldn't go astray.

The reason the front bumper support rots through on these things is there is a big foam insert on the inside of the bumper skin which traps a whole heap of moisture, compounded by the fact that water pools on the top of the frame and then trickles down into the foam.

Bwaa-bwaaaaarp.