'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed is it possible to leave a strip of tint along the top of the window to satisfy compliance?

Good point! I'll ask if they can slice the tint off below the 2nd defroster strip from the top, which should preserve the decal.

In fact, the place which complied squid did this when it came into NZ originally:

3348039985_b296b109f6_z.jpg?zz=1

It might be a bit hard to see, but they left a strip of tint along the bottom edge of the screen.

8448393327_f6c8a1515f_z.jpg

Ahh, I see...may be a facelift thing? fairly sure my old SC had them as well, and this potential one does too. Much nicer looking!

Edit: nope, old one definitely had the early type mirrors, and nearly 100% certain latest one has the new type, both are 87 models.

Ahh, I see...may be a facelift thing? fairly sure my old SC had them as well, and this potential one does too. Much nicer looking!

Edit: nope, old one definitely had the early type mirrors, and nearly 100% certain latest one has the new type, both are 87 models.

They're part of what's referred to as the AW11 "final facelift".

<foamer>

In 1989 (technically September 1988) the final run of Jap spec AWs (and possibly North America) received more aerodynamic mirrors, a FRP rear spoiler with integrated LED brake light, and mirror-tinted T-tops. The interior seat pattern was also changed.

</foamer>

I did the same with the last one I owned. It's quite a commonly performed modification on earlier AW11s especially if you are lucky enough to find the bits, e.g. in Japan where there's almost always guaranteed to be a set of mirrors on Yahoo.

Good spotting Kyle, yup wheel alignment and two new front tyres as the originals had sidewall cracks from disuse.

Not long to go now, just a bit more red tape to sort out. Hoping it will be ready for this month's Caffeine and Classics if not burgermeat.

• Like 1

Back at the panelbeaters' this week for further compliance repairs.

I never knew that certifiers/compliance inspectors were allowed to find new items to fail on subsequent rechecks, but now I do!

Discuss: http://oldschool.co....1-sc-chit-chat/

Hey mate nice aw! Will be mint once it's done!

This sucks man, I'm pretty sure WOF guys can do the same :/

I've resently pulled my factory shocks out, they all have sway tabs and all are damper adjustable, would you be interested in the part numbers to see how they differ?

Cheers

Ash

Ash, I just moved that post.  Please don't post in the project threads, that's what the discussion thread is for.

That way when you're looking up someone's sweet, sweet whip you only see goodness and don't have to wade through 50 pages of "Good work!" to actually see the good work.

Coooooool bananas

Ash, I just moved that post.  Please don't post in the project threads, that's what the discussion thread is for.

That way when you're looking up someone's sweet, sweet whip you only see goodness and don't have to wade through 50 pages of "Good work!" to actually see the good work.

Coooooool bananas

Makes sense, I did wonder why it was split.

Coooooool bananas

No worries man! Makes sense :)

They weren't happy with the look of the front radiator support panel (it had been pushed upwards and a bit of surface rust was present, most likely from striking something on the road), so it has to be sandblasted/stripped back then a decision made on what to do from there.

Hey mate nice aw! Will be mint once it's done!

This sucks man, I'm pretty sure WOF guys can do the same :/

I've resently pulled my factory shocks out, they all have sway tabs and all are damper adjustable, would you be interested in the part numbers to see how they differ?

Cheers
Ash

Cheers dude! Yes please, that would be useful. Fairly certain your inserts have been replaced with aftermarket adjustable damper items, but the strut carrier part numbers should still match up.

Actually I now have some proper facelift AW11 rear struts with swaybar tabs courtesy of myk00l, so will have to tidy them up and buy some new inserts when funds allow.

Sweet man I'll clean EM up and take some snaps tomorrow.

My aw came with them when I bought it, I don't know much about them, thought they were an option on FL??

Maybe not, I know my car had some work done years ago

Mine also came with 18mm front sway and 14mm rear sway.

I have what I think is a sw20 18mm rear sway here too??