'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

A swaybar adds half of its spring rate to one side and takes away half of its spring rate from the other side.

So factory cars with soft springs like to have swaybars because it adds roll resistance while still having a lot of travel etc.

So lets say you had a standard car with a rear spring rate of say 3kgmm and a swaybar with a rate of 2kgmm.

When the car goes over a bump on both sides the effective spring rate is 3kgmm

But when the car starts to roll the spring rate will be 4kgmm one side and 2kgmm the other side.

But if you fit harder springs, say 6kgmm coil springs

You get 5kgmm one side and 7kgmm the other side with swaybar.

or 6kgmm springs with no swaybar you get 6kgmm and 6kgmm.

So stiff springs alone and you already have 1.5x more roll resistance than the factory soft springs + swaybar.

So a rear swaybar sometimes doesnt work well with stiffer rear springs, because you're already getting enough (or sometimes too much) roll resistance from the coil springs alone.

Or, it gets to the point where the rear swaybar spring rate is so low compared to the coil spring rate that it's doing nothing anyway, and the cars handling wouldnt benefit by a stiffer rear bar anyway. (unless you want to go backwards into a pole)

But TL;DR: If your car understeers too much, fit a rear swaybar. But if it doesnt, dont fret about it.

• Like 2

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the rear struts, the SC cartridges are a different size to the na car. Larger diameter if I remember correctly.

My first sc had no lsd and a sway bar.

My second sc had a very tight lsd and no sway bar.

The second car seemed to handle better, and the power oversteer was amazing and controllable fun.

I eventually fitted an sw20 sway bar and tabbed struts. The change wasn't noticeable on the road, but I didn't have a chance to track it.

• Like 1

With the rear struts, the SC cartridges are a different size to the na car. Larger diameter if I remember correctly.

Interesting point. Most sites only list two sizes of cartridge - '84 through '86 pre-facelift, and '86 through '89 facelift, with no distinction between SC and N/A. For example TwosRus.

The Toyota parts catalogue separates them out correctly but is useless as everything is NLA.

Guess I'll be creating some sort of Frankenstein setup in the interim.

Weird that you got the complete opposite of what I experienced with my LSD-equipped SC. Perhaps my chassis was just fucked (it had been converted to manual in Japan, had a nice tight TRD LSD though).

Probably the most noticeable place where it would power understeer was the sweeping left hand corner on the Auckland motorway southbound, just after the Hobson Street on-ramp and before the merge from the North Western. A little bit of throttle (enough to light up the SC dash LED) was enough for the car to start spearing off course noticeably.

There is no factory lsd that I've come across. Very few who have owned an aw11 with an lsd are able to conclusively say what make and type of lsd has been in their car. I had 2 different lsds in my sc model and they drove quite differently. Best one I had was the c series box in my grey aw11 with the blacktop 20v

From what I've observed popping up on Yahoo Auctions, all of the E51 supercharged boxes with LSDs seem to have had the TRD one retrofitted, which is a clutch type.

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

Both the SW20 turbo and AW11 SC share the same TRD LSD part number so I guess they aren't as rare as they could be, it's a shame they are now discontinued. But it seems you can still get the TRD LSD for the N/A AW11 (and all other N/A 4A-GE equipped cars).

I might send Jamie an email and ask if he's managed to figure out what sort of rear suspension setup is in the old '80s Kid. I tried contacting the old owner (Ben from Slipway in Wellington) but he seems to be extremely hard to get hold of at the moment.

Hi Ed. I don't have a clue what sort of suspension set up it's got TBH. I'm not savvy enough to know. I understand it's got a rear swaybar (per your telling me this) and adjustable dampers. All I know is it's very firm, even with the dampers on the softest setting. I had the wheel alignment done as per the TRD recommended settings (settings were all over the show) and with brand new RE002 tyres she handles very well : )

• Like 1

Get out of here with your Fiero garbage!

I saw a few in the States, and nope'd the fuck out of there (after posting photos on Instagram for a giggle).

Hi Ed. I don't have a clue what sort of suspension set up it's got TBH. I'm not savvy enough to know. I understand it's got a rear swaybar (per your telling me this) and adjustable dampers. All I know is it's very firm, even with the dampers on the softest setting. I had the wheel alignment done as per the TRD recommended settings (settings were all over the show) and with brand new RE002 tyres she handles very well : )

That's all good. I originally assumed it had aftermarket Koni or Bilstein inserts due to the adjustment on the dampers.

If possible would you be able to measure the diameters of the rear strut casings (below the spring perch) and the swaybar at some point? It would at least give me a starting reference.

Haven't made a final decision on the wheel colour just yet... the panel shop has a number of swatches that I'll try and flick through when I drop the spoiler and wing mirrors off tomorrow.

Wish I knew what the exact shade of bronze my old Weds actually were. That's pretty much the look I've been aiming for.

3348743024_37e1f04a26_z.jpg

3781028022_64e2fd2bfa_o.jpg

GT Refinishers has a pretty damn good match for Volk Racing Bronze....

If I wasn't already having to get a bunch of other things painted at Rob's, I'd go talk to GT for sure. I don't want to be "that guy" who takes the info and runs somewhere else.

Initially hadn't considered Volk Racing bronze, as my Prodrive GC-010s are the same colour and it's a bit darker than my intended look.

Some Evo jokers have said that Fiat 750 Marrone Vulcanico is a close match. I wonder if it could be lightened a touch?

Now this is weird. PPG don't have Marrone Vulcanico (or even paint code 750) in their list of Fiat/Lancia/Alfa colours. Some further inquiries will have to be made.

It does look pretty lush, best results seem to be with a matte finish though.

If I wasn't already having to get a bunch of other things painted at Rob's, I'd go talk to GT for sure. I don't want to be "that guy" who takes the info and runs somewhere else.

Honestly, I've found most tradesmen/artisans to be pretty good about sharing info if you're up front ie "Hey, I've heard you have an amazing match for xx colour but already committed to so and so with a few other parts, would love to get the paint info if you're okay with it." They appreciate loyalty, time wasting is usually the biggest gripe.

Other than that, I've been lurking your threads for ages, A+ you are a man of fine taste.

• Like 1