NickJ

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some of mine on the photobucket

Picture191_zpse0d3519c.jpg

Got Dick smith electronic ignition right there!

I kept the Lada alternator, had to mod the adjustment bracket but no biggie.

Lada Radiator.

Was easyish to match up the exhaust but hard to stop cooking the starter motor and wires, pretty sure I put a shield in there. The starter sits on the other side with the fiat gearbox.

Picture194_zps823b5d1a.jpg

Kept the Lada gearbox as they are actually pretty good. The Fiat engine has a water jacket plate at the back of the engine that gets in the way. This is the notch I put in the bellhousing to clear it. Pretty sure the Fiat flywheel etc needed no mods, apart from the notch everything just bolted up, I seem to recall some dicking with the clutch mech tho.

Picture199_zpsb12e8262.jpg

Doubled up the front swaybar, this was easy, just needed to cut 100mm off the second bar and make a bracket to tie them together. Handled better after this.

Picture205_zpseccc430a.jpg

Picture208_zps52bfdef5.jpg

Put on 40 dellortos, Was great. Had to move the fuse box to the inside of the car for clearance.

Will find some more...

• Like 1

Picture%20006_zpsfscfakww.jpg

See the plate here

Picture%20189_zps8kwzt5hj.jpg

Relocated fusebox

Picture%20190_zps88hknrhk.jpg

Bracket mod

Picture%20192_zpsnzzuauld.jpg

Wrap to stop cooking the starter wires

Picture%20195_zpssiyfv22r.jpg

Stealth gauges, shitty stering wheel and cupholder. I put a Fiat 124 Tach in the hole where the temp ones etc were, even the needles were identical!

Picture%20198_zpsnhfufe3t.jpg

Plugs inside the glovebox, fusebox was below this.

Picture204_zpsfae191f9.jpg

Blinged it up with a TWINCAM sticker

Picture%20207_zpsjlxsthth.jpg

With the 14" rims on

Picture%20211_zpsgw2f5izo.jpg

Thats not a hijack, thats motivation! the twin cam sure looks like it should be there, did you have to fabricate mounts?

I have the sway bar for the niva sitting there, i'll have a measure up and if they'r the same i'll put doubling up on the to do list.

This guys recipe is interesting, being that a good TC is getting harder to find its quite a tempting option (I still have the Niva's original engine tucked away)

http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11097&sid=64bc316f74ec00f2a41411adcabee91b

I've favourited the same engine mods thread for 'one day, maybe'. The bugger with RHD cars is getting twin carbs to clear the brake system. There were some downdraft manifolds available in the UK, but no idea how often they're available 2nd hand.

I know fabbing a manifold is well beyond me, but the idea of a Megasquirt and ITBs has a certain appeal with the above mods.

+1 for VFTS kit, a great addition.

I've favourited the same engine mods thread for 'one day, maybe'. The bugger with RHD cars is getting twin carbs to clear the brake system. There were some downdraft manifolds available in the UK, but no idea how often they're available 2nd hand.

I know fabbing a manifold is well beyond me, but the idea of a Megasquirt and ITBs has a certain appeal with the above mods.

+1 for VFTS kit, a great addition.

You seem to be right, not much space in there, downdrafts will be the way to go, at least the manifold will be simpler than the one I had to build for the Niva! quite likely need the vfts bonnet scoop to make them fit!

Start a build thread and do it, then I can avoid your mistakes!

Hehe, I will when I get started, but that'll be a way off yet. I'm just going to start buying bits and pieces here and there, slowly fill a box with parts I want to use. Toying with the idea of 82mm pistons for 1700cc as well, almost a shame not to if in the engine that far.

http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11466&sid=ba74726c367d239cce0170abe56f76de

I looked at that but the chance of hitting a void when boring out put me off, using a 1700 crank sounds interesting but they are very thin on the ground here and for the cost to import one a twin cam build would be within budget, just rebuilding the engine with the basics right (balanced internals & matched compression/cam/carb combo) is quite appealing

1800 twin cams go hard and rev their nuts off, but as you said finding a sound one is a bit of a mission these days.

I had a 124 sport with a 2 litre previously to the lada and that engine had about 1mm of piston gap and very gappy rings, it still went very well, just a bit slappy when cold...

No I stupidly sold it. It went to some uni boys and did the undie 500, I nearly bought it back then.

It came up again on TM a few years later without the engine, dude wanted $1000 for it! I offered him $200 which was half what I paid for it with an engine and Wof/reg. He seemed grumpy with this offer.

I have mostly convinced Sidewaysickness to buy one to use as a daily while his LTD is off the road, I would enjoy that.

Just went thru your Niva thread, good stuff there.

• Like 1

Oh thats crap, sucks to sell a car then regret it :( hence I'm only on car #3 & 4! $400 for that is awesome value for money!

1k for a rolling shell is quite an ask, but they are slowly creeping up in price, Nivas seem to be creeping up to 2k for a good one on TM and I personally think they are the most sellable, the 2103-5-7 seem more collector vehicles with buyers that are more keen for one to fix than one ready to go, keeping the price down.

This also reminds me its been over 10 years since i've owned a rwd car (that was #1) I can't wait for a hoon! 

• Like 1