NickJ's 1989 Lada 2105

NickJ

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two vehicles of the highest quality and prestige!

One for heading to party meetings in town, the other for checking up on supporting the peasants on the kolkoz (on the way to the dacha of course).

How bourgeois of you comrade.

• Like 1

I now have a sports car and a utility vehicle, by communist standards i'm getting a bit too wealthy for the common good.

I'm keeping an eye out for steelies but the only ones I found after a quick rumage at pick a part looked fwd offset, no way can I spoil the prestige of a lada by fitting 4x100 and wobble bolts :) there was a nice looking set of 13s a few weeks back but they were still skinny as, what tyre width did you run on the 2104 ladaspeed?

• Like 1

Not keen on chopping/certing at this stage, smaller tyres might be the way

chris/euron8 has vintage grumbles old lada IIRC which had a healthy dose of slam.

Infact the build thread will still be around.

Hold one moment caller

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/32728-euron8s-lada-1500vaz-2103%D0%B6%D0%B8%D0%B3%D1%83%D0%BB%D0%B8/?hl=lada

8729914385_e8f0869be7_z.jpg

I remember reading that a while back and had it in my head there was more than chopped springs involved, thanks for making me have a re-read, feeling  a tad more positive about making it work, maybe sort some raised springs for the niva and chop the standards it has now

• Like 1

Cool Lada, .......back in the UK many many years ago,  I bolted in a Fiat 1600 twincam and 5 speed in mine from a 131supermirafiori and the Fiat wheels with 185/60s went on no problem. With the 4 spd back axle it wasn't top end fast but went sideways quickly  :-D

That would be an ideal rim, happy thoughts that some turn up for a silly price....

With the two Ladas parked up next to each other the twin cam seems wasted in the Niva, its awfully tempting to swap the engines over!

Last night with a beer in hand I had a crazy idea to drop all the springs and dump it onto the stops to see what max low is, just like VG's experience the bloody springs are massively compressed to fit in, no luck at all, i'll have to get a spring compressor onto the job! on the positive side some sort of improved low should be possible, the hunt for springs begins!

Cool Lada, .......back in the UK many many years ago,  I bolted in a Fiat 1600 twincam and 5 speed in mine from a 131supermirafiori and the Fiat wheels with 185/60s went on no problem. With the 4 spd back axle it wasn't top end fast but went sideways quickly  :-D

Do you have any pics? would love to see them!

just like VG's experience the bloody springs are massively compressed to fit in,

Lols been there a few times.

The fronts are crazy big for the space they sit in.

Rears aren't to bad but will still need compressors.

I had to get internal compressors to get the fronts out plus unbolt the sway bar to get the lower arm down low enough.

FYI unless you're gonna lower it while they are out it may be kinda a waste of time. The factory bump stops will hold the front at about where mine is anyway. Rear will go a bit lower.

Apparently niva springs are stiffer.

I've got some Mercedes springs to chop for the front of mine. Will report back how well they work.

I've done lots of frustrating research (google translate). Pretty much every car you see that's any kind of decent low has been done in a way that is not legal here. It can be done but would need more work than the Russians and even the poms have done.

I'm heavily considering sourcing some raised springs for the Niva then sacrificing its springs to lower the 2105, planning a morning at pick a part armed with calipers and a tape measure to see whats around, HQ front springs are the way i'm told, just not sure how easy they are to find, guess that means they'd work for the sedan too?

Reading your build thread I'll have a look for some shorter bump stops/ copy the shorten trick.

Only site I could find that showed how they lowered one they had removed the springs, pretty sure that doesn't fly with the wof man here, + i'm not keen on moving mounts/geometry to make it all work, as of now the sills are 300mm above the deck, if I can drop 100 off it will still make a mighty difference.

I also have many photos of my twin cam conversion if you are interested, can chuck them up on a gdrive or sumfink...

yeah, would be cool to see how you made it work, I guess its not too different to doing the niva? I just like to see them for interest

Just measured up the springs,

Fronts, Niva is 16mm (15.6) 2105 14mm (13.6) 

Rears look the same but i've just had a shower so will get in trouble with the boss if I crawl under to get a proper measurement & count coils! I'll have a closer check next time i'm working on them

Still got a new window winder handle at home for this. Went well when I had it, awesome on shingle.

Shannon had a collection too but i'll happily accept any parts you need taken away! guess a drive out your way will be in order too once shes on the road. looking forward to a cruise, i've only driven it round the block and to my place, suspense!!!

• Like 1