The Pog's 1965 HumpHer

ThePog

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes fuck exhaust gaskets forever, even if the flange is warped the silicon will work, just put more on,

The exhaust gas will burn though that exhaust gasket fiber steel stuff in a week.

CRC maniseal seal is utter crap, its just clay and sodium silicate, dries up and falls out like dog shit. I have no idea why they still sell it in this day and age.

Shuck would want like $300 to make a gasket

I read ages back in practical classics magazine when they interviewed some big race car outfit. On talk of exhausts the fella mentioned he just used normal bathroom/gutter clear silicone without fail. I thought nah.. not true. So I tried it and it works. Have also used the cheapest clear selleys roof and gutter clear silicone to seal up cracks in wood stoves plus seal between chimney and roof. Works a treat ! Fuck the posh stuff.. it's still just silicone.

• Like 1

Well it has the spendy shit on it now. It was about $20 from Super Shit Auto.

So it is all ready to go except that some of the nuts I got were clearly made from potatoes rather than high tensile steel that i asked for.

I will replace these with the good ones this week...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For all sorts of Rootes Group shit I have had much joy at Speedy Spares. All mail order stuff at pretty good prices.

Saved me a few times. Check them out here http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/

They answer emails pretty quick too, and stuff seems to arrive in a week or two without any drama.

I've got a series IV. Also got a workshop manual if you need anything scanned your way.

• Like 1

Is it a Haynes manual or something?

Be pretty keen for a copy tbh, I have the owners manual and it is surprisingly comprehensive, but anything would be good.

I have a metric shit ton of parts, s4 included if you are after anything.

Post some pics for me!

Workshop manual is a genuine Rootes Humber one. About a million pages. Pretty comprehensive so happy to scan off whatever you need for whatever but copying the whole thing will require slave labor.

I've acquired an overdrive unit for mine (3 speed manual) and am after a front drive shaft to put it together rather than butchering mine if it all turns to shit. Apparently there are three different lengths - Manual, auto & manual with O/D...

So looking for either an O/D one or something I can shorten.

I'll keep an eye out for another workshop manual in my searches too. Bloody handy. 

I'll take some pictures when it's not so dark and then figure out how i'm meant to put them on here...

• 2 weeks later...

So I owe Tumeke a blowie or something, he has scanned the complete manual to pdf for me, what a GC.

A wristie will be fine. Document scanner-feeder at work so not too much drama. You've inspired me to do a blog of my tank so I'll start one this weekend after i put electronic points in it or something - weather/beer dependent.

• Like 1

That manual is extremely comprehensive.

I wish i had it when i rebuilt the steering ram, I had to figure out how it worked all on my lonesome. The manual has multiple sectioned and exploded views, plus a full explanation of the workings.

• 1 month later...

Yea, I got it all sorted late morning yesterday. I still could have gone but was not feeling the love for the driving/fun in Hanmer ratio.

I did end up getting a shitload done on the bus tho, plus helped the neighbour by pressing the bushes out of the A arms of his Singer Vogue. So not all bad...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Rumour has it that you are going to sell this car?...

On 6/01/2017 at 7:30 AM, ThePog said:

I am going to sell the Humber, swap meet is a likely spot to do this....

Why? Hannah and I spotted you driving this in Nelson last Thursday. Your arm out the window looking all boss. You seemed happy with the world.  Explain..