The Pog's 1965 Humber Super Duper Snipe

ThePog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the day off yesterday and missioned it all back together, scraped off the piston tops, changed the oil and filter etc. Started straight away so I got it up to temp then reset all the valve clearances as this needs to be done hot.

All was basically fine except for a chuff in the exhaust where I had split it and a bit of a hesitation when accelerating, I thought this might mean the carbs needed a balance, but then I remembered that I had adjusted the points gap when I was troubleshooting the problem.

So today I sealed the exhaust and reset the timing, it is good as gold now. Dizzy has one of those sweet knobs to fine tune the timing without having to crack the clamp, which is superior.

Should be good for another 100000k now.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Small, pictureless update again.

It was still a bit hesitant when foot down, plus starting was kindof marginal. I had a think about what might be the issue and thought I had better check the dashpots on the carbs as this was an easy thing to check, both of these were basically empty. I filled these up and all the hesitation/starting problems went away. The oil all fell out when the carbs were upside down while lapping the valves I guess...

Next was a pinhole leak on the top rad hose, it now has a cut down Valiant bottom hose to replace it. Since putting in that thermostat water based things have been failing due to the increased pressure. I am guessing there is not much more to replace now due to this.

I also reset the tappets again cos one was very noisy, thats all good now.

I have a few jobs to do over the next few weeks, the heater fan is rubbing and is noisy as fuck, one axle seal is leaking a wee bit and I might swap out the brake booster from the spare car if the bore size is more suitable. It is of the same later style as the one in it now.

Thats it.

• 1 month later...

Dirty old bitch started chuffing from the exhaust manifolds somewhere after I took it to Blenheim one day, I finally got around to stripping off the manifold and I am left with many broken studs. All relevant gaskets are made of rust and asbestos dust, I will clearly need to find replacements. I know that Bowden have a complete upper engine gasket set, but all I really need is the exhaust manifold one and the complete set is getting on for $300...

I will try Hinds spares tomorrow, but does anyone happen to know anything else that might be a possibility?

I bought the poo today as per suggestions in the discussion thread, drilled out as much of the 4 broken studs as I could. They are at the 6 into 2 into 1 joints so not actually in the head which makes it easier. I will linish the faces at work tomorrow (mighty car mods rangi spec method). Might even buy new head studs and nuts as these are a wee bit slogged out.

Should be schmicko for the weekend usage..

• 1 month later...

It kindof looks like I am running out of time to get the bus ready for Hanmer, so I thought I had better get the backup plan well and truly sorted.

I have not really been driving the Humber as the exhaust manifold poo didnt work out too well, probably cos I ran the car before it cured properly. I knew I had fucked up somewhere cos the exhaust was leaking worse than it had before. I was also a wee bit marginal on the Mighty Car Mods style surface cleanup that I had done on the manifolds, so decided to man up and get it right.

I pulled a spare manifold out of the pile, this had an unusual bit of tin wrapped around it which turned out to be covering a pretty substantial crack - so that one got binned.

Fortunately I have a rather large pile of spares and simply dragged out another one.

This one I managed to attach to my little mill drill and proceeded to machine all the mating faces;

IMG_20160819_095006_zpsuer3flid.jpg

IMG_20160819_095020_zpsu8shhfml.jpg

Saturday morning I spent installing this along with copious amounts more poo. I then left it overnight to cure. I have been driving it around today and it feels well and truly sorted.

It will need a warrant this week, so I will try and get it in tomorrow just so I have a wee bit of time to sort out any fuckery that might arise...

• Like 7

Got halfway up Spooners on the way to Hanmer and the lower exhaust joint blew out. I turned around and went straight back to the workshop to fix it, decided to do a socket joint to get more poo area. I got most of it done but then many many things work related stopped me from finishing.

I also tweaked the bit of pipe so the routing was a bit straighter.

IMG_20160826_181718_zps21zbjtzm.jpg

It is all in place but still needs a weld around the pipe cos I cut it off to make the joint better, but now it looks like I have to take one of our cats to the vet cos it has muntered its paw trying to get into the washing machine...

The Prime Cause of the universe clearly thinks I should not be in Hanmer :(

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Yip they have reinstated the original plates by the looks. Have been having a good exchange with the current owner. He's sorted a lot of shit, mostly the superficial shit that @ThePogand I clearly never cared for. Had some interior trim and the dash repaired, fixed and recromed side grill trims. Really just needs a coat of jam now.. I suspect the sills will need doing one day,they were never the best. Wish I had the money, it was a sound old pig

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2023 at 12:40, Arelde said:

Yep ... probably paid too much but it will hold it's price once it looks pretty again.

I would have brought it back if I had the cash and shed space. It was a very easy old car to live with, I probably put 20thou km on it in the 5 or so years I owned it. Surprisingly good on gas too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...