Ranton's 1989 VW Golf MK2 "Dieseasel"

ranton

I made the Side exit exhaust which takes a few minutes to swap between one exhaust and the other. using a V band clamp.

received_1675973692644485_zps2pv2o7dh.jp

received_1675973695977818_zpseuamsesb.jp

also heat wrapped the lower section of the down pipe, to protect the CV Joint. and surrounding tunnel area.

Need to make some additional heat shielding to protect the Brake Hard lines from Turbo heat-soak.

Plus air shrouding.

received_1676405212601333_zpswauymdje.jp

Going to do some Data logging today... to get the tuning underway. I want it to all be ready for Night Speed Dragwars..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its been running, exceptionally well.

Datalogging has proven difficult. its proving a little difficult to find quiet places left in Auckland you can really bury your foot.

Started the ball rolling with the Cert Process too Cheers Clint!.

Few nigglys holding the car back but I smashed thru most the check list last night! 

Its a pretty fun car to drive in the Dry.

in the wet it is nightmarish with the Race / Drag Tune flashed on.

The "Low" Map is far more suitable for the daily drive around the place!

Heat Sheilding & Latermodel Topmounts and Top hats that look better and aren't so "Gappy" haha

th_20161012_183530_zpsuxis7cdn.jpg th_20161012_183520_zpspujynuqi.jpg th_20161012_183518_zps8jydnp2n.jpg 

th_20161012_183514_zpsjpfnzzyu.jpg

• Like 6

Decided to refit / reinstate the Rear Bias Valve back in to the mix, I didn't like the Fixed "Screw down" version I had before hand

and I had to sort out my lines on the rear axle.. they were pretty huckery and didn't like staying in their retaining clips.

20161014_161953_zpsj9lrmbht.jpg

20161014_162000_zpswgxuwxu5.jpg

Also got the rear wheel bearings a little tighter while I was attacking the rear.

Will have to yank engine back out this week to fit the Lock washers to the engine mounts. and sort out any other niggles while I'm there...

It hasn't been great not having a Hoist any more so I have had to revert to using some more Archaic Methods to lift the car off the ground :P

so here hoping to be all right and ready for the OS Drag day this year.. Missed last year :(

• Like 3

Changed all my engine mount bolts to Lock Washers.

20161022_151009_zpsiawtskrv.jpg

20161022_162450_zpsmh5l9vmm.jpg

Two more things to sort out on the check list and I am ready for the cert again...

Also on friday after work I fitted a Oil Temperature gauge and discovered the oil temp was barely getting over 75deg with the new cooler setup.

This is no good. Especially for a diesel. So went out and got a Thermostatic oil sandwich plate. This should help keep the oil at a more appropriate operating temp.

This is probably also why engine temps have stayed very low. Despite the water thermostat being in good order etc.

• 1 month later...

so most of the cert process is finished now..

a few weeks ago I attended Drag wars for my first try since the rejig of the engine.

first Run was a 14.3 @ 108mph

Second run was 13.7 @ 106.8mph

then the night was called off...

Video here

Picture here

15123129_1039266742851371_36298738807926

• Like 6

• 2 months later...