Another AX100 cafe project

Ruisu

Hey guys

First time poster but long time stalker of the OS forums here.

This week I ventured north and picked this little bad boy up for a mere $350 with the intention of building a cafe/brat bike.

u41mrk55.if0.jpg

It's obviously not looking the part right now, by the end I'm hoping to have it looking a little more like this.

nfzqx5iq.mg1.jpg

It runs well, but the tank is rusted to shit and will need to be replaced, most work will be cosmetic - though I'm hoping to slap an expansion chamber on it when the time comes.

Right now I'm in the middle of stripping it down for paint and trying to find some old bits and pieces listed below

Tank AX100, CB50-100 or similar 

Speedo to fit - So 6v to suit Suzuki, I've been told to look in to TF125 parts as they're still made and should be compatible. 

Lastly (for now) a circular head light, there are heaps on trade me but I'm ideally after something older and 6v specific.

I know there's a few of these floating about on here so if you have any tips, tricks or any old stuff laying around lemme know!

Will post pics of progress as it happens, Happy riding!

• Like 2

I could defiantly be interested in the tank, current one has 2-3 small holes and sounds like there's a hand full of sand in there when given a shake! 

I've actually already been figuring out dimensions etc for a rear loop, and planning what parts are going to meet the grinder! 

Non of the above unfortunately, might be a bit of a mission getting it back on the road but I'm down for a big project anyway. Know of any readily available speedo's that work well on them?  

youre in the same boat as me haha, i have been caning mine around with a number plate off a different bike, no worries. makes me wonder if its worth paying the moneys just for a little rego tag. 

older versions of this bike (A50, A100) would be the way to go, but if you can make a speedo cable to fit, then pretty much any 6v speedo should be the go. im guessing anything suzuki and 6v cant have changed much over the years? then again i could be wrong.

you could try Dime City Cycles for a one size fits all speedo, but i have found most of their stock suits 12v bigger bikes. then again theres always ali express

You don't need to worry about the voltage for speedos, the only electrical part of them is a light bulb which is easily replaced (and not even really necessary), the only important bit to get right is the drive ratio. Even if that doesn't match up exactly though, everything will still work the speed will just be off by a bit. If the ends aren't the same, it's a cheap and easy fix to get an instrumentation shop to put on a new end. If you have an old speedo cable, just take that in. I successfully fitted a Smiths speedo (similar to picture) to my CB400. Just took the factory speedo cable into Parrot and Sons (chch instrument repairer shop), cost $40 for a new fitting to be put on it to suit the speedo. Worked great.

smiths_mph_0.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This might be handy for you 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=894836922

yes! that bike has all good parts, except the exhaust which grabbed off of him ;)

went and had a look today, he has some really cool stuff in his shed. old kawi twin 2 stroke 250 thing, xr500, and a fr50 he wasn't keen on parting with. also heeeeaps of a50 stuff! a few speedos there if youre keen. 

Rad! cheers guys. There's been a little progress since the first post, frame had a trim up and is being sent off for powder coating Tuesday along with the swing arm and a few other small bits, found some sweet little indicators in my brothers bike graveyard and have a skateboard seat pan rigged up waiting for some padding. Tank is confirmed dead so I'm in the market, how much would you be after for yours LOW'N'SLOW?