M M's 1989 VW Golf Mk2

M M

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome car man! Where did you get your Nardi wheel? 

Thanks. I found that wheel (and a second one the same at the same time) on trademe. Score of the century if you ask me. But it's not in this car anymore.

Do you still have one?/Willing to sell it?! 

I do still have the one that was in the mk2 but I don't really want to sell it, I know how hard they are to find. I know I'll always regret it, sorry man.

• Like 1

YOU DONT NEED ANY MORE CARS!

btw very nice example of mk2!

be interesting to see it with its new set up. have you seen this mk1 on tard? 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-875238316.htm

Thanks. Yes saw that Mk1, I actually also own a mk1 in that exact same spec, year and color but it's just a standard 1.5 diesel (for now). I'd say that Mk1 is a very good price for what it is.

So.... did you sell that engine? would go good with my next setup  :-D

Yeah I did, sorry man. Could put another one together though. What are you building?

I would estimate around 140 hp, possibly more. Only way I can judge is that I lined up with 2 ABF Mk2s (2L 16v with 150hp) when the car was running rich and had the longer ratio gear box and it was just slower, I was on their bumpers. Never had it properly on a dyno unfortunately. The cam was a 276 degree, I had that in my old motor as well and to be honest it went perfect fine on the road. With the carb motor you have to get used to driving as the throttle was very quick to respond so was very easy to either stall or over rev while taking off, but you get used to it and then it's easy. It also wasn't the smoothest but I drove it regularly without a problem, it just depends how fussy you are and how smooth you expect I suppose.

Nice to see another MK2. That steering wheel you've been given isn't a GTI, looks leather to me and has the join at the bottom so i'd say it was a G60 one. Hard to find 

Thanks. Yes, it's actually from a 16v Passat and is leather, you are right. Though I believe some GTIs had these, regular ones are the same shape only didn't have leather on the rim like this one.

Which Mk2 have you got?

Thanks. Yes, it's actually from a 16v Passat and is leather, you are right. Though I believe some GTIs had these, regular ones are the same shape only didn't have leather on the rim like this one.

Which Mk2 have you got?

If it's leather its from a G60, could of been a corrado one, both the same. My mk2 was my daily back home, started as a 1.6 driver 3 door, now got a worked tdi in it, touching 500 torque. took it apart just before i left and let my mate do what he wants with it until i go back. 

Looks good bro

Thanks. Saw your photo with the headers on the 8v, looks cool.

If it's leather its from a G60, could of been a corrado one, both the same. My mk2 was my daily back home, started as a 1.6 driver 3 door, now got a worked tdi in it, touching 500 torque. took it apart just before i left and let my mate do what he wants with it until i go back. 

Mine came from a Passat 16v (it could have been swapped in I guess).

That's pretty cool, friend of mine put a Mk4 TDI motor into a Mk3 here and it goes really good so I can imagine what that must go like. Those TDIs are very cool motors, what I want to put into my Mk1.