M M's 1985 BMW E28 525e

M M

Sounds like there could be a short in the sensor or wiring. Have you tried the sensor in another car?

Yep, my sensor worked perfectly in my friend's car with the same motor. And the ECUs as well. I personally swapped them and started the car.

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just had a read of this and build thread and wondering if you have checked spark at plugs fuel at rail and pulse at injectors ? you prob have but it may help with our virtual diagnosis also any chance you have pinched a wire between motor and box ?

Yep checked spark at plugs both after the distributor cap and have put plug on the lead right off the coil. Only time I got any spark was when the plug was right on the coil and just when I turn the key off it sparks quickly. There is definitely fuel going into the motor so fuel isn't the problem. To prove it, the plug I pulled had fuel all over it after I was trying to get it to fire.

Not really any chance of a pinched wire between the motor and box because 1. no wires go there (unlike on the older motors) and 2. it was running after I put the gearbox back in and I had both looms completely out and back in so would have noticed. Hahaha.

I appreciate the help and replies so far though guys.

Have you tried using normal battery for ignition and jumping the starter with a separate battery and wiring? (even jumper leads)

Not seperated, but I have had a jumper hooked up along with the battery. What would that do?

Use a separate battery for the starter motor to see if the spark is not happening while cranking for an electrical related reason (switches, relays and in the old days isolating in line resistors when they were not externally jumpable.)

Right, I understand.