• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Nice.

What diff ratio does the auto have?

I believe 3.25. This gearbox should theoretically bolt up to the m50 motor (24v 2.5), so will be looking at swapping that in later on.

Not tempted to turbo the m20?

Not really. I'd really have to do an e to i conversion and then turbo, but this motor has almost 300,000 kms and is not running correctly (and I have absolutely no service history on the car). I have thought about just bolting a turbo on and driving until it blows. But realistically, I think it'll be better in the long run and probably cheaper to swap the m50 and then turbo that. Initially I wanted to do an M30 but since I have this gearbox now I probably won't go that way.

• 4 months later...

I believe 3.25. This gearbox should theoretically bolt up to the m50 motor (24v 2.5), so will be looking at swapping that in later on.

yes correct tyhe gear box will bolt up to a m50 but the m50 and the m20 sit at a different angle in the car. if you bolt a m50 up to a m20 box you need to chop the bottom of the sump off, flattern the sump and then add wings to mantain capacity. 

From what i have been seeing the correct box is about the same price. The m20 manual boxes are getting harder to find so are often worth more than the e36/e42 boxes. 

Also look in to a M52. they are an alloy block, basicly the same motor but with asn alloy block, swap the intake to a m50 intake and play with the cams and they make 240hp in the m52b28.

and the alloy block weighs about the same as a m20 ish. from memory around 130kg, where the m50 with teh iron block weigh in at 180kg (internt forum information dont quote me. )  

Thanks Brock. I have researched all that. If I can find a manual e36 I'll just swap the lot in, which would be ideal. I'll see what happens in the next few months, for now I'm just going to drive it and probably won't do anything until I get back from Serbia next year. I don't want to leave the car half done in my parent's driveway, will probably find it at the scrapyard upon my return. Haha.

• 2 months later...

Funny why I haven't seen this project before but well done. That interior is perfect in my eyes.

Also glad you mentioned how shabby the donor actually is. I saw it and was like NOOOOOoooooooo (but also YESSSSSS that motor will be better as a swap)

I like it!

Thanks. I do still feel like it is a little but of a shame but at the end of the day I like the e28 more and I just can't have this many cars at the moment.

You have my popcorn.

LOoking like you will be swiftly moving g forward in the near future. 

If your looking to pass on your rear discs and calipers let me know. 

And why size are the wheels??  

Swiftly moving forward quite literally when the motor is in, haha. I'm planning to swap the all the brakes over onto the e28 too as apparently it's a bolt on upgrade. The wheels are 17" and will be for sale when the car is parted. TSWs with 235/45 Bridgestone Potenzas.

nice score on that 535! I saw it on trademe (if im thinking of the same one) and damn that was good buying.

any plans for the shell? Im keen on some small trim bits if she's headed to a wreckers

It was on trademe so probably is the same one. I will be parting it out so all the parts I don't need will be up for sale. Just let me know what you are after. However at this point I'm not 100% sure when it will be as it has WOF until May and I has some things to sort out first. Depending on what it is we might be able to work something out beforehand, just send me a PM.

Hmmm 535i E28s are great, but man! That looks like a far good E34 to kill.

Trust me it's not. I might take some close up photos when I get a chance but it really is rough. Today I found some major rust at the jacking points, there is a hole on one side. Made me feel a bit better, haha.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Oh man, I feel for ya! Not much more frustrating than stuck bolts (and stuck broken drill bits)

You might have to make some sort of bush fixture to align the drillbit over the hole. Such a pain.

Yeah, I've got a plan. We shall see tonight. I will either have an update saying the motor is back in or a complete disaster.

is the bolt in to steel or alloy. 

It may be safer to take it in to a engine reco and get them to spark erode the drill and bolt out. Yes it will cost but it will mean you will still have a usable head afterwards.

It's in alloy. I don't really fancy pulling the head off and having to get all the new gaskets etc. Will see how my revival plan goes and if that fails then I might have to. Either that or go with a v8 instead.