Tristans 1967 Triumph herald wagon

• 2 months later...

No idea sorry, he got them really cheap from some guy near waihi who listed a spare radiator on trademe along with a variety of other parts included so im guessing they were widened a long time ago. Test fitted some tyres but they were to wide at standard height then kids came along and thats as far as he got I think, he may read this and chime in

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

That's a pretty sweet ride. 8)

If I was to keep I would keep as is lower it and get the steel wheels widened

Formula Fords used the Herald uprights and kept Triumph's oddball 3&3/4" (95.75mm) PCD, so they are a potential source of widened wheels.  Kilroy, the Marina dude from Chch (think he's a member here?), found a set of 7" banded Spitfire steelies ex a FF.

iirc the main problem fitting a 2.5 is squeezing in the "big" Triumph gearbox.  The Vitesse and GT6 used an uprated Herald box (iirc the first of the single-rail type), but it's pretty marginal with the 2 litre (it's also the weak link in the Marina TC).  You'd definitely want to uprate the rear suspension to the late Vitesse/GT6 type.

Uprating the engine to Spitfire 1500/Toledo 1500 TC spec would be a cool option, especially since it keeps it all original looking and no cert required. :-)

• Like 2