Monsta01's 1979 Datsun 160j sss discussion

Monsta01

Fuck yeah!!! These things are stupidly rare in NZ. There's some story about how there was only 6 delivered by accident that were meant to go to Aussie.

A guy I used to work with owned one, Adam who lives out in Katikati. His was matte black with a rotary swap. I'll try and dig up a pic.

Cheers

Matt.

Very nice! Someone has looked after it all these years.

The PA10 coupe, badged 160j SSS is not that rare in nz. The sedan version however is very rare in nz. The only sedan I have seen in nz was probably imported from Oz as it's a stanza. A member on here owns it and it's sr20 powered.

Australia got the coupe version in small numbers, they however got heaps of sedans and they were badged in Oz as the Datsun stanza

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome car man.

Usually loops in a dyno graph will be due to a slipping clutch as the power backs off when it slips and comes back around if it grabs again. I'd think that would have been picked up by the operator though. Were you there for the dyno runs?

I've also seen it on auto cars that kick down mid run.

Very nice! Someone has looked after it all these years.

The PA10 coupe, badged 160j SSS is not that rare in nz. The sedan version however is very rare in nz. The only sedan I have seen in nz was probably imported from Oz as it's a stanza. A member on here owns it and it's sr20 powered.

Australia got the coupe version in small numbers, they however got heaps of sedans and they were badged in Oz as the Datsun stanza

I think the number of coupes was approx 130 in nz and about 300+ were sent to aust they were ment for SE asia market. As for the sedan I have heard of a few au stanzas that were sent here but dont know of any here apart from the rally car that enters the silver furn rally ect. My Pa10 pre dates the aussie model and had jdm std equipment no borgwarner or single carb in sight. But its not known where it's from but recently I have found a badge for a '77 Auster matches the embossing on the back of the front seats.

Anyway cool car and good work. The dyno is most likely the clutch

• 1 year later...

I've had 2 of those streetfire units shit themselves on me, onto my 3rd now under warranty. Did yours die after a couple minutes of running at a seemingly random time? I hope my current one lasts longer, an MSD person advised me to put a diode on the signal wire so we'll see if that works or I'll do something similar to the kit you have.