High_lux's 1976 MS83 crown wagon

High_lux

• 7 months later...

Been a while!

Since the last post I ended up purchasing some 6x9's and a 12" sub, then built a box to house them.

post-19330-0-77543000-1445562652_thumb.jpeg

Purchased these wheels from Japan

post-19330-0-25358900-1445563024_thumb.jpeg

SSR formula mesh

16x8 +0

16x9.5 -23

Got them here in Aus and resprayed the centres gloss black and fitted stainless fasteners and gave them a polish. I'm thinking later on down the track I'll have the centres powder coated gold and the rims professionally polished.

post-19330-0-52199900-1445563344_thumb.jpeg

Top rim has been repainted, polished and stainless bolts fitted, bottom still needs doing....not much difference really

Had some tyres fitted to the wheels

205/50 on the front 225/45 on the rear (near enough to the same rolling diameter) - not as much stretch as I was hoping (didn't want to go over board though) Atleast it won't attract to much attention I guess!

post-19330-0-67074700-1445563932_thumb.jpeg

Need way more low!

So purchased a set of Lovell 'low' springs for the front and had to get a set of rears standard height - for some reason they don't list a low version for the rear. Collected them and fitted them to the car, ended up removing them and cutting around 2" off both sets...the front 'lows' didn't even lower it!

Whilst I had the front end apart I fitted a pair of ms112 front hubs / vented brake set up, also replaced the shocks, every single ball joint, tie rod, idler arm and had the steering box rebuilt as it was leaking. Also fitted new sway bar link bushes as they were rooted.

post-19330-0-50351700-1445564368_thumb.jpeg

Managed to get the it all back together a few hours before I flew back to work for a month....took it for a test drive with the standard wheels on and the front rh tyre scrapes like a b!tch!! Thought owell and parked it back in the garage and left it for a month.

So during my month at work I purchased some King Spring lowering springs for the front, just as well as when I returned I guess the springs must have settled a bit. Tried to take it for a drive again as is but the front Rh tyre scrapped from the garage to the end of the drive (about 5m), reversed it back in the garage and jacked it up...noticed it was scrapping on the inner guard where it's been hammered down approx 20mm from the inside to accomodate for the electric retractable am/fm Ariel that was installed at some stage in its life in the rh guard. Anyway fitted the King springs in the front and also fitted the SSR wheels...i think I like the original wheels with hub caps better at this height...if it was lower (approx 30mm front and 20mm rear) I think the SSRs would look better...will lower it a bit more down the track once I get the rear end sorted - either fit the rn20 hilux diff I have or shorten the standard f series 20-25mm a side. I think the rn20 diff will be to short plus I have already changed the stud pattern to 4x114.3 on the rn20 axles so would need to change back to 5 stud and sort out brakes etc so would rather keep the rn20 diff for a future project.

post-19330-0-17340400-1445565654_thumb.jpeg

This is how it sat with the trimmed lovells up front - doesn't look that low but the cross member was about 75-80mm from ground.

post-19330-0-24507300-1445565830_thumb.jpeg

How it sits now with the kings in the front and trimmed lovells in rear

post-19330-0-91795900-1445565989_thumb.jpeg

So still needs more low, but will do for now to cruise round in the summer before it comes off the road for a repower and some more mods

Oh and the repower package will be this

post-19330-0-77931700-1445566242_thumb.jpeg

Yes yes I know it's a filthy push rod Gm engine and I'll be cross breeding but the reality is I think it'll be easier to fit than a 1uzfe or any other Toyota v8 for that matter not to mention a hell of a lot easier to find than a uzs131 1uz, or uzs131 sump, headers, trans etc. price was also a factor too I guess - got this combo from a crashed Vx series II commonwhore with full log book service history (have the book) and 147,000km on the clock - got the engine, loom, trans, shifter / tbar, drive shaft for under 2.5k so not bad imo. Will just need p/steer pump and computer (I'll get a mafless tuned one anyway) to be complete. Already have a crewman / cross 8 mid type sump too that I managed to find on gumtree for cheap.

• Like 9