Yak's '87 GSX400X Impulse.

treggo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started the tank cleaning process, just used marine clean so far with a chain in the tank. Rinsed out several times, even reheated the cleaner on the stove to reuse it. Man that stuff is caustic, my gloves broke and I'm regretting not replacing them. Hands now have cancer.

Should I try to get more of that rusty scale off before I start with the metal ready?

3D044207-F7AC-432B-ABD9-1013FE474A8F_zps

Stripped back the rear half of the bike to repaint the frame under years of battery acid leakage. Took me way too long to get the tail piece off.

6691051C-CFC2-40B2-8C78-B57A8FD7F269_zps

No more acid drippage with this little beauty

9B55088A-FCA9-4602-9A93-8A6113F405B5_zps

• Like 1

Had a squizz at the diagrams and your pics, looks like they have set it up one for each coil.

Could be that one of the ignitors is poked and switching back to a single item might work.

When you first got spark what coil wire was attached to the coil you got spark on, black and yellow or white?

They correspond to these wires

hv2xzsji.rjm.jpg

Which ever one was good keep the ignitor attached to it and uplug the other, then we just have to figure out what wires go to the unused pins on the 6 pin plug in order to test (the 4 pin plugs looks to be ok from what I can tell).

Noice

So have done a bit more investigation 

Based on other similar Suzuki ignitor pinouts the only wiring change you'll need to make is either stick the black and yellow coil wire where the red arrow is or the white coil wire where the yellow arrow is. Then you'll be back to a single ignitor. The middle terminals are unused on the 6 pin plug.

opli2d03.2xv.jpg

Plug your preferred ignitor in.

Instructions for testing with multimeter. (4 pin plug is the signal generator lead wire coupler)

gptesj5b.2jt.jpg

Also check your engine earth lead for corrosion etc.

• Like 1

I know I'll be asked to leave the forum with this utterance, but.....

I've always thought this bike's styling would really suit a conversion to run on volts.....In fact, if I can find one with a seized engine one day I might just be mad enough to try it.

Sweet so one of the igniters doesn't go and the other one happily switches both coils after I moved the black/yellow wire over to the other plug.

Now I just need to make sure the two wires to the primary could are around the right way so firing order is correct?

Then need to get longer screws to accomodate the new coil