64vauxhall

64 Valiants 68 VW Beetle

475 posts in this topic

So I'm currently laying in the truck car park at bom bay BP cause this vw has decided it didn't want to start. So I'm getting a tow to puke to a mates shop to see if we can fix it there.......

1 person likes this

Yea no spark this time. What a bloody lemon. Off to heron engineering mates shop to raid his work shop and all his mini parts to make this dud go.

Thanks to my good mates in puke. Wallace heron ltd It's going again. Time to buy them a box. My vw now has mini parts on it

1 person likes this

Yeah what was it. And lol at reading your build thread about simon doing you're starter motor. I can imagine the exact tone and mannerisms he would have used.

I miss him.

2 people like this

Yeah what was it. And lol at reading your build thread about simon doing you're starter motor. I can imagine the exact tone and mannerisms he would have used.

I miss him.

just updated it with a big old yarn about my day. peace of lemon i have!

i must say simon is top dog alright!!! 

Not bad at all, was only a condenser.

Super pain in the back side if your stuck in the Bombay car park.

Just lucky I have good mates that know a bit more about cars than me.

It's probably worth fitting brand new points and condenser and putting the current ones in the trunk as emergency spares.

1 person likes this

What MF rating should a beetles ignition condenser be?  

0.22MF  (I think)

but I'm curious why you're asking?

Saw this at Zebra yesterday. Looks good. Curious as to why you call it a 68 though. It has 68 traits at all..

NZ and Aussie beetles ran on different model years to the rest of the world, we kept going with the older designs a lot longer than elsewhere...

Pretty sure 68 was the cross over year, mine was also first registered in '68 but is pretty much exactly what a US '63 would be (useful info if you're ordering parts online)

http://www.nzveedubnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6855

1 person likes this

Yeah I've read that in the past and struggle to believe alot of it. I don't know where that info comes from but could just be interpretation. My Ckd 55 is exactly a 55. My Ckd 67 is exactly a 67 which I have a Birth Cert for both. All my Nz assembled 60s parts cars have been rego'd to the year the body/engine/pan numbers they came with and have had the correct features to match.. So much of it does not relate to my stuff which doesn't make sense.

Cool car regardless. Welcome to the world of unreliability.

It's probably worth fitting brand new points and condenser and putting the current ones in the trunk as emergency spares.

Or just fucking bin it completely, I hate messing around with points and stuff.

C22-21101-2.jpg

some people hate these as they have had them fail also, but mine was sweet. set and forget.

Or just fucking bin it completely, I hate messing around with points and stuff.

C22-21101-2.jpg

some people hate these as they have had them fail also, but mine was sweet. set and forget.

yeah it is the plan. i hate points and all that extra stuff as well. 

change my ap5 over to electronic and boy what a change!!! so amazing!!!!!!

but fark i need to fix some bloody oil leaks.

thing leaks like a ............................. (everyone can fill it with there own description)