Metalhead96's Yamaha v50

Metalhead96

Hi all

I've finally got around to posting up my v50 project.
So with out further'a'do, here's the BEAST  :-D

4yowfu2y.qjr.jpg
51bqiwkv.oe0.jpg

At this stage the goal is to first get it running, then re-registering it. Have the original plate with an old rego sticker saying it was last registered in 1980 hahah. 

f0sooz1u.rq4.jpg

aaaand above is the reason why its not running  :( but il be getting a new piston off ebay, even considering going as far as a new head and barrel aswell but the currrent ones aren't too bad.

Once its on the road the fun can begin, Customizing  :badgrin:  :-D  

Also, ive seen i can buy a completely brand new piston, barrel, head and gaskets off ebay that go on a pw50. However looking at pictures it looks almost (if not exactly) identical to the v50. Any idea on wether it would work? Doesn't cost too much so could be a good experiment

Anyway, let the fun begin

• Like 1

Not sure if PW50 stuff would work or not sorry man. You need to be sure that the specs are identical for port timing etc for 2 strokes though. What condition is the bore in? Judging by the state of the piston I would assume it's looking a bit scratched and damaged? If so, go for an oversize piston (1mm or so) and get it bored out. Having a scratched bore will never run perfectly, it isn't that expensive to get it professionally bored out

• Like 1

Yeah might just go for the oversized piston. Bore looks okay considering it sat for just over 30 years but might aswell get it cleaned up, get as much power out of the old girl as I can. Head looks a bit tired though, I think the spark plug must've been stuck and someone really butchered it getting out as there is a small crack on top and the thread needs a tidy up to.

Hhhmmm, so ive come up with some options. 

1, Buy oversize piston, fix head, bore barrel and insert a new head stud (forgot to mention that it had a broken stud)

2, Investigate as to whether a pw50 top end will bolt onto the v50 engine

3, See if i can get it registered as it is and then secretly bolt in a pw80 or lifan/loncin 110cc or something  :-D

All seem pretty possible but am leaning towards option 1 a bit more

• 1 month later...

Right, bit of an update

Took the head and barrel into a machine shop to see about getting them sorted, they can source a new piston and bore the barrel no worries but the head is pretty far gone (still repairable) and suggested finding a second hand head instead. Gonna be about 200 bucks to get piston, barrel bored and fix up the head, not to mention i've also got to drill out a new hole for a stud in the casing. Is it worth sticking with the original v50 engine?

I did however get a near complete c50 engine last week (cheers Guywithaviators  :thumbleft:) and i'm thinking of getting that together instead as parts are a lot more common. Also makes life easier being a 4 stroke. If its gonna be around the same price to fix up the c50 engine I might just spend a little bit more and get a brand new loncin/lifan 50cc.

If anyone has a spare v50 head around il be happy to look at purchasing it, otherwise I might soon have a "Yondaha" haha

Edit: Just test fitted c50 engine. Not happening, which also means that a loncin/lifan is probably not gonna fit since they are based on the honda enignes as far as i know. V50 2 stroke it is then

• Like 1

That would be the way to go but i haven't been able to any at all or they were gonna be reasonably expensive, plus I wanna keep it a 50 at this stage just to make it easier when getting it re-registered. Iv'e heard its pretty hit n miss with whether It will need an inspection

As its written it only needs an inspection when first registred on nz roads. They do like to say it needs another one but it doesnt actually say anywhere it does. Just take in engine and frame numbers. Check the moped rules on vtnz

I did mine walk in, walk out sight unseen. Thers no moped class on the form but there is in the system if that makes sense. They should know hopefully.

So i've ordered a head off ebay for 60 bucks delivered from the UK which should arrive next week, the barrel is at a machine shop getting a port job and being bored out to fit an oversize piston (which is also on its way). Last thing to get it running is a new stud, probably going to get some high tensile steel rod and make my own but will see as I only have 3 of the original head nuts and can't be assed looking for a v50 stud with original head nut. 

All in all progress is being made, can't wait to ride the wheels off this thing  :-D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So I bought a second v50.... yeeeaaaah. Havent got around to putting a stud in the current engine and got bloody sick of walking into the garage and seeing it there not in use. Will put up some pics of the new purchase tomorrow after work when theres day light.

The plan now is to take the engine in the "new" v50 put and into my current v50, get it running and registered and use it as a nice weather daily cruiser. Other v50 will be my experimental bike for trying out different customizations and what not.

Will be all running and legal by the end of the month. (I promise haha)

Im so bloody lazy

fheogge2.zgx.jpg

y24mkwsz.wtp.jpg

Plan confirmed... Remove engine from black v50. Install into blue v50 with new barrell, piston and head, take old engine and semi assemble it and install into black v50, go to vtnz and register the blue v50 and "attempt" to register the black one but all I have is a frame number and no previous owner details. All going well il have two v50's all legit.

PS the expansion pipe is soooo fucking loud its awesome hahah  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Awwww cheaaayyhhh

1sagj4e2.szf.jpg

Keeping the black vfiddy. Legit as fuck..... sorta

All registered which was way easier than expected. $78 bucks with 6 months reg which was sick

Needs a couple of things to get it "safer"
:Head light and tail light arn't working atm
:Needs a tune, badly
:Throttle/brake assembly twists around on the handlebars so has a cable tie fix
:Tires are backwards
:Fuel tap has a slight leak

But atleast it has a loud as balls expansion pipe and a suicide shifter so that redeems everything on the list. GG

More pics

vojymqcl.s4n.jpg

b3w2tz12.flq.jpg
  • Like 2

that shifter is awesome

may i suggest removing the green checker and replacing with more aussie export matte black? 

pipe is cool! do more skids!

Yeah bike came with shifter, proceeded to break on its maiden voyage so had to weld it up again.

Potentially considering a repaint, Will raid the supercheapauto paint cabinets soon enough.

Skid vid to come  :badgrin: