EFI_LC's Starezza - KP60/Altezza Engine

EFI_LC

And then the other part of the Project was a Trailer....

I have a Donor for Springs, lights, couplings and few other things, I was going to use the axle and hubs but as its Ford Pattern I decided not to and bought brand new HQ Hubs as I have heaps of wheels here. 

It will tip amd double up as somewhere to work on the underneath of any cars.

IMG_9612%201024x683_zpssnyca8dx.jpg

IMG_9613%201024x683_zpsfqcjte7u.jpg

IMG_9619%201024x683_zpszr50cpcp.jpg

IMG_9620%201024x678_zpszzuqu5ri.jpg

• Like 3

I am going to use some builders scaffold planks recessedfor the car to sit on.

I will also tilt it using some old Holden Suspension arms, then the lights I got off the old trailer, I picker up a Jockey wheel from Supercheap, I also grabbed a 3000lb electric winch just in case and I have a transporter for under $1k. 

Steel was less than $400 

Hub kit was $109

Winch $87

Wheels free, and I have spares

Donor Trailer $150 (Lights, axle(used the drawbar), springs, coupling and wiring)

Planks $44 x 3 = $132

Bolts to hold the planks $25

Channel Iron for under the Planks $18 from the scrap merchant.

Tilt mechanism free

Gas and wire for the MIG

Still got a bit to go but I reckon it should be worth 3 times that when I paint it up :)

IMG_9622%201024x683_zpsrm6nlxbu.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Trailer all finished and wof and rego. Since these pics I added a few things like tie down rails underneath, spring locks and a couple of pins to hold the ramps in place.

I have now started on my Narrowed Estima Diff with Nissan GT Brakes.

IMG_9634%201024x688_zpswdga6u5q.jpg

IMG_9635%201024x680_zpskqamjxne.jpg

IMG_0027%201024x529_zpsjqvlfmtd.jpg

IMG_0035%201024x683_zpsy03l3oh7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have some welding to do over the weekend.

Once I have the Diff back together then I jack up the car level, then position and measure the diff weld the bottom mounts then work out where I have to cut the new holes and mounts for the coilovers on the diff and the body.

I plan to have a single centre adjustable top mount and Watts Linkage similar to the bottom sketch except replace the panhard rod and the coilovers will be a bit high mounted

IMG_0072%20645x1024_zps56qqkyvp.jpg

IMG_0073%201024x804_zpsoqyiwre9.jpg

IMG_0075%201024x679_zpsdchmgwlg.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Got the mounts on for shocks, bottom arm and springs today after spending some time making sure all the angles were good,

Still to do:

The brakes don't quite slip over the axle wheel mounting plate so they need a mm or 2 taken off them and modify the brackets to suit. The top adjustable arm needs mounting after the adjustable Panhard rod is mounted which also needs me to fabricate a chassis mount.

IMG_0632%201280x853_zpsf1daepls.jpg

IMG_0634%201280x853_zps5dnfm4uq.jpgIMG_0636%201280x853_zpsribpteus.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was held up working on this full time as real life gets in the way like trips away and going to Drag Racing, Circuit Racing, and all the other stuff, but I am now making a push to finish. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1267176186641889.1073741898.612338512125663&type=3

I had never finished the diff as I had no room for the single top arm and I made a temporary setup but I am now putting them through the wheel wells and they can then mount on the roll cage base plate where I can brace the front mount to the cage. I have oodles of room in there as the wheels are pushed out wider.

The wiring under the bonnet is now done and the engine runs on its alternator now and has an Evo 4 Alloy radiator.

Rear disc brakes are done and plumbed and can still just fit the 13's on the rear. Once I fit the GTR fronts I will need to run 15's

DSC00094%201280x960_zps8zvdvbn6.jpg

DSC00090%201280x961_zpsesuuocad.jpg

DSC00092%201280x961_zpsnwlbh4va.jpg

DSC00084%201280x960_zpsqwsxhtsi.jpg

DSC00080%201280x961_zpsiseyeo0v.jpg

DSC00078%201280x961_zps3ck5kyx7.jpg

DSC00077%201280x961_zpse0ubk9bx.jpg

DSC00075%201280x961_zpsyughzaw1.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More work completed in between other things, I am getting ready to test drive soon, I may need to make some clearance around the front of the diff as its tight in the tunnel.

Things to do:

Finish wiring in switches and kill switch

Plumb gauges if I can

Bleed the brakes

Check diff and gearbox oil and radiator levels

Wire the electric fan

Remount Seat

Buy and mount Belts

Mount fire extinguisher

Hang fuel line from rear to front.

Check clearance of sump on the cross member.

Sort wheels and offset and clearances on guards

Driveshaft hoop

Make spacers for the suspension arms and setup

Tighten the diff and suspension bolts etc.

Paint and tidy the body and wash.

Remount the rebuilt rear calipers 

Make a Handbrake set up

Finish hanging the exhaust (needs a front mount)

Check for any holes in the firewall and floor and weld up.

And I am sure I have a few other minor things to do but if the test drive in my driveway goes ok I will be wanting to take it for a test sometime.

DSC00219%201024x768_zpsmtc6xd6z.jpg

DSC00218%201024x768_zpsrpl6sbjp.jpg

DSC00216%201024x769_zpsvobr42nw.jpg

DSC00214%201024x769_zpscms7jwyi.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So 11 months on and a Trailer built as well I am nearing completion, hopefully ready to test sometime next week or week after if I can hook up the oil gauge.

Waiting on a phone to turn up so i can make it my obd2 logger system.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I am now in the final adjustment and tweak mode with the car, I tried the 13" rims and they wouldn't fit over the rear disc callipers so made them fit today. The offset puts them just outside the rear guards but my calculations they should hit the stop before they rub.

A few other minor things needed.

IMG_4820%201280x853_zpshatpxiab.jpg

IMG_4821%201280x854_zpsxdwibpyl.jpgIMG_4830%201280x853_zpsoyca69aj.jpg

IMG_4829%201280x853_zpsflfuaivq.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2nd time out never went so good.

I blew a head gasket. I have pulled it apart and I cant see much so maybe an air lock or blockage. I will pull the cooling apart as much as I can to check and while I have it in bits I will make some alterations to the cooling and check its circulating good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I scored 6 good usable slicks for my Starlet and I have been thinking of getting some wide rims made for the rear and also now have 3 wide slicks for them as well now with another 2 to pickup.

Maybe someone could help, can I get 6" mags and widen them or should I talk to someone about steel outer rims and get them to add my offset & pattern?

Or buy a pair of 8"x13" mags?

Next question, Formula Ford tires, are they ok grip compared to say a dot track tire?

First race and ran a best Lap 1:46.6 and a few within a second of this. 

Qualifying I ran best 1:51 and was a little disappointed and I dropped a little from the tires afterwards as working it out and also tried to work out the brake bias, still a bit unsure so will do some testing in the garage.

R1 I launched from near the back and it went sideways grabbed 2nd and went more sideways, I was snaking up the middle until I caught up with the main pack of cars and then about half lap I tried an overtake before the carousal and pushed it a little harder through the previous corner and hit the marbles off-line and spun out, 2nd lesson.

R2 saw a less sideways start but still a bit sideways and I caught up to an inside car but soon after found myself drifting back and eventually, My exhaust had came very loose at the collector and was like a tractor so never went out for R3 as not much room under there and called it a day.

Happy with R1 but need some work on the brakes and a few other things.

This the lap data after I spun around in and then the next was my fastest. Timing said 1:46.69 (Track Addict 1:46.65)

http://vid53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/kiwigraham/Starezza/Untitled_zpst4za2g38.mp4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have entered for a trackday in a couple of weeks.

I needed to fix 4 issues which were pointed out in scrutineering.

1. Fuel overflow, catch/splash tray. Bought a cake tin from Briscoes and it had a raised centre which when I cut it out was the the exact hole size I needed for the fuel cell :)

2. Drivers Door card - Scrap Metal down the road had ally sheet which I bought some time ago for the price of scrap and I have been using it for all sorts of things, 

3. Firewall holes, went over it with fireproof sealant and now sorted.

4. Seat was flexing the mounts a little so welded some 3mm plate to strengthen

Other things I am doing.

- Front wheel had a slight flat spot and was causing huge shake at speed, in getting it sorted and should get it back tomorrow

- Exhaust came loose - need to add another mount close to the front to take weight.

- Remove diff head and add more weld as it has some movement.

- Electric water pump should be here be early next week to help circulate the water

- Repair the front spoiler as its worn about 10mm off the right side. (end of the straight left hander is bottoming out.

- New shocks & springs to limit the body roll and high speed front dipping (stop above and pic from happening)

When I saw this pic it confirmed how much the additional weight of engine and me were affecting the handling so I think a 1:46 was ok and hopefully can pull 2-3 seconds a lap from that. The right tire also tells the story and after this I will be looking at the entire geometry of the front end.

Anyone in CHCH that has done this stuff or has springs shocks etc I would be keen 

IMG_6272%201280x852_zpsxjtvte48.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So I am sorting the front end out and should have it 80% sorted by the end of this weekend. I bought some Tein Adjustables for $50 at the same time I bought the car and will use a gas Celica insert for now until I buy a better insert later as these are actually for another project. 

All in all I would say the car will sit slightly higher at the front and will be much firmer and I am hopeful this will help the roll center. I know one thing it will help loading and unloading the car as the spoiler touches without using some wooden planks at the moment :)

I removed all the mounts and crap

• Like 1