EFI_LC's Starezza - KP60/Altezza Engine

EFI_LC

I Decided to go circuit racing and what ever else including club day, grass, cross etc. so bought a we starlet which has had some racing for the past 15 years or so.

I figured having a homolagated cage and kitted out with some gear plus 2 sets of wheels was a good start.

The Plates are live and on hold so maybe one day.....

Here is it so far. 12/12/2014

IMG_40161280x853_zps412eb36f.jpg

IMG_40181280x853_zps7a3bce8d.jpg

IMG_40191280x853_zps62d39071.jpg

• Like 5

Bit of a cutting and trying a few times to make sure i have the right amount done.

I still need to raise the tunnel a bit more as the 6-speed sits quite high.

Other than that I will remove the old 12a mounts to make some more room around the oil filter.

Bit of mig welding over the next few weeks and it should be done.

IMG_28751024x768_zps17064056.jpg

IMG_29431024x768_zps164e8d7c.jpg

IMG_29321024x768_zpsfe10e1fd.jpg

• Like 6

I did a bit more today when I finally got time.

I was unable to do any welding as I am borrowing a little mig and got it tonight. I can see plenty of work coming up.

I cut a bit more out and was able to move the engine back so that #2 is just behind the front wheels. The Plenum now sits where the firewall was, I made 1 downward cut and bent the firewall back to make room for it, 

Once I tidy the firewall I will be making a totally new tunnel around the gear lever and adding strength back into the floor as the body cross member was cut before I got the car.

The plan for the handbrake is to move it sideways so it is beside the gear lever, I wont need it very often.

I thing on the urgent list after its running is I need to raise the suspension back up a bit as all the geometry and performance is shit but will make a multi-link rear at the same time so I will spend a bit of time the way it is until I get another diff.

Plenty of other things as well but the big one will be wiring this thing.

IMG_83811024x683_zpsf73953d1.jpg

IMG_83861024x683_zps55d2c4cd.jpg

• Like 2

Did a bit more panel bending and a little welding tonight after work, pot riveted a piece in to weld later.

It's slowly taking shape, I should be able to start on the engine mounts soon and still have the hardest for last, the gearbox mount and the fabrication of the gear lever part and this will combine as structural for the centre cross member. 

While I am under the car doing the gearbox I will weld some seams to hold another 20 years of racing :)

I need to fold the top of the back section forward to follow the tunnel angle then weld in the other pics box then cut the left and bend forward to meet the the other pics box. This should create almost a complete closed in firewall. Other tidy ups will be easy then weld it all up 

IMG_29921024x768-instructions_zpsbf2c7d0

IMG_29901024x852-instructions_zps4bdfa66

• Like 4

Spent another hour and a half after work and this part is almost finished and I am happy now my jigsaw has almost been done and just a minor hole to fill and some tidy ups.

This car is already stronger than it was, 

IMG_29931024x768_zpsc0397c27.jpg

Fill the gap

IMG_29971024x768_zpsd75391ea.jpg

Trim the overhang

IMG_29951024x767_zps3f3f0286.jpg

• Like 1

Well Christmas slowed me down a bit and I needed to do some house maintenance as well but I have the engine mounts made and positioned and tacked in while I Double check clearances around the bottom of the engine. I took some pics before I finished with the current position and noticed the sump was very close to the bottom lip of the crossmember so need to double check that as well as the 5mm clearance of the crossmember  in the centre where it has a raised piece.

I have positioned the engine more to the left to give clearance to the brake booster and since I sit on the right figure it shouldn't affect it too much.

Now that has been done I can now Fabricate the gear lever area. I would have built an entire new tunnel but as the roll cage has 2 bars meet on top of the tunnel I can't raise it any further.

Fabrication to do tomorrow:  

Gearbox mount, I have 100mm gap and also need to weld a plate to the top floor to beef it up.

Gear lever enclosure

Crossmember over tunnel

Move and raise slightly the handbrake (to give more room for the driveshaft so the back of the gearbox can sit as high as possible)

IMG_30171024x682_zps258f8187.jpg

IMG_30101024x768_zpsf35437a0.jpg

IMG_30061024x768_zps45ad0a81.jpg

IMG_30041024x768_zps396cc005.jpg

• Like 2

Well it's been just over 2 weeks and a couple of hours each night after work and trying to do the usual and work on this on the weekends I feel I am making good progress, I have the engine in and out about 6-8 times measuring eyeing things up and testing etc..

I have some more pics showing the mounts tacked in.

I welded the back up and may weld a small brace on the front but by leaving this open I can unbolt them easily.

IMG_30191024x768_zps3b2f6f56.jpg

IMG_30201024x768_zps53e8fd48.jpg

Sitting nicely although slightly one side but plenty of room

IMG_30211024x768_zpse7610819.jpg

IMG_30231024x768_zps2799237f.jpg

IMG_30241024x768_zpsf4eb98f6.jpg

IMG_30251024x768_zps2c1ec7e5.jpg

This is the right side gearbox mount, just need to weld a couple of nuts in the correct place, the flat side welds to the tunnel and the other side I have contoured to fit the floor, I need to spend some time grinding the 

IMG_30301024x768_zpscd20b797.jpg

• Like 2

So today I completed the gearbox mounts although I need to tidy them to look nicer. When the 6-speed mount is used it hangs as low as the rear foot wells, I will however need to use the 2 piece tail shaft. I have heard and witnessed that any engine revving over 7000rpm in the Toyota range is recommended to use them, something to do with Harmonics and coming from a Holden 202 I know all about bad harmonics. The 202 would drop flywheels if revved over 6000rpm.

I also pulled the back flare off as the last owner used the stock tank and pumped fuel up to a surge tank which is what I will do as well, I need to make a hole in the flare to get to the fuel filler or turn it to face the inside and fill it through the hatch.I thought I would size up my 15" DOT race tires as this is the size I want to eventually use.

IMG_30471024x682_zps75e56027.jpg

IMG_30461024x682_zps40c4bfc9.jpg

IMG_30351024x768_zps9cf6dc50.jpg

IMG_30361024x768_zps5b2559eb.jpg

I may cut and lengthen the rear flare/arches to allow 15" wheels, the fronts may be ok.

Once I have it ready to 15" wheels then I can get a decent diff and larger brakes later.

After work today I angled the handbrake and tacked the rear section of the gearbox tunnel. I intend on pot riveting the top piece on so it can be removed to get the gear lever off if needed.

I will take care to make sure its has no sharp edges and will remove the engine and box before finishing it to make sure I have clearances. I am then going to weld all the holes no matter how small in the firewall as if I have fire I don't want anything getting at me.

IMG_30591024x768_zpsd5014c06.jpg

IMG_30601024x768_zpsfd8a1168.jpg

Shit load of welding and re-welding as I was trying to find the best setting on the MIG for the thin Starlet metal as it only has 4 settings and I needed one between the lowest and the next setting which any more than a second would blow a hole no matter how much I adjusted the wire.

Anyway I am getting close now!

I have strengthened the cross member again and seam welded as much as possible

IMG_30611024x768_zps1b6a1a02.jpg

Well I have had a busy couple of days but had some problems which i came across that needed to figured out so a bit slower than I had hoped.

I pulled the engine and box out to tidy up the engine bay and weld the chassis to the body at the weak points, welded the engine mounts in covered some holes and painted.

I also removed all the crap from the floor and started on the seat and found the first problem an possibly he reason why the steering wheel was on by a finger tight nut. The better of the 2 seats was almost impossible to get my legs past the steering wheel. I then modified the steering wheel mount to give more clearance but not really enough so I had to overhaul the seat adjuster on the other seat then fitted itwhich made it easier but not what I wanted.

I then set the other seat up to fit which took a bit of welding and at the moment I have it half done, I am pleased I did this as the seat wasn't well mounted.

Painted and the corner welded then i repainted it later

IMG_30721024x768_zps8a314b41.jpg

Checking how to make the exhaust work for me

IMG_30761024x768_zps8091373c.jpg

IMG_30781024x768_zps0a4d97eb.jpg

May need to use a metal u bend

IMG_30771024x768_zps457c80df.jpg

The seat is almost and has lower sides to make it easier to get in and out and I raised the steering wheel about 40cm

IMG_30821024x768_zps64105b30.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the engine and gearbox mounted in the car, I used a copper u for the rear hoses.

I have a quick release steering wheel now as well.

I bought a small surge tank and I have a pickup pump and an inline high pressure pump already, just need some high pressure hose. and bolt it all together with a filter. This will take a bit of time and I will drop the tank out to make sure it's clean.

The driveshaft will be dropped into Circle Track tomorrow I hope.

The radiator is a later model Corolla and fits snug, I plan on reversing a couple of fans and front mount them.

I also checked the rear springs and they have been cut so low that when i jacked the car up I could pull them out, I think I make have to talk to my mate as to what I need before I go racing.

I made an exhaust flange from the rotary flange cut it in half, shaped it and welded it up banged a couple of holes in it and then made a shorter 2-into-1 single 2.5", I still need to put the o2 sensor mount in it.

Plenty of other items to do as well but I ran out of Co2 for the MIG and the bottle needed to be tested so this has slowed me down a bit 

IMG_30561024x768_zps2eda41ec.jpg

Couple of setbacks but getting closer now.

Hot days slowing me down as the garage is damn hot on some of those 30+ days.

I cut the old 12a manifold in 2 which had the exact size exhaust I needed shaped and welded it and made sure its flush then 2 into 1, it may not be the prettiest but it works. Just need to add the o2 sensor.

IMG_31081024x768_zps42b62c9f.jpg

Straight pipe from the bend up to the manifold and to make room it made sense to cut through the rear foot well which will never be used again. 

This has a tunnel over the exhaust now.

IMG_85621024x683_zpse7e51861.jpg

Picked up a complete manual loom with ODB II so I can check for errors etc.

IMG_85651024x799_zpsb8c88714.jpg

Radiator is in, reverse mounted a fan, just need hoses

IMG_85691024x683_zps5a5ff45f.jpg

Checking and started labeling the obvious parts of the loom

IMG_85711024x790_zps0ff4cca8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slow lately as injured my elbow and can hardly use my left arm

finished putting the radiator in and made some hoses up and connected it all but found a small problem with the throttle body which has water running into it. 

I thought the hose underneath was a vacuum as the neck was broken when i bought the engine but it was actually for water and is part a valve or something??

I was hoping I don't need it but guessing It may cause some indifferent tune affect?

Anyway I have decided on a total overkill and I am shopping for a Hilux diff to go with the Hilux LSD I have, I have asked a mate who has mates with bits and pieces and hopefully they will come up with something.

Once I have that then I can work out the measurements I need make a fully adjustable rear.

This will possibly extend the build and push the budget but I will try and build everything I can.

• 1 month later...

Well power is up to the computer, fuel pumps, injectors and coils but when turning it over wouldn't fire.

A bit unsure and likely nee some help from someone who has been here before me.

Any local wanting to help I will pass them a carton of their choice or any advice on what could be stopping it would be great.

Remaining unknowns, O2 sensor not hooked up as unsure which goes where, does the gearbox need anything as it was already connected vacuum ?

IMG_9382%201024x684_zpsaqjdhj25.jpg

g

IMG_9383%201024x683_zpsakjh2srt.jpg

IMG_9384%201024x683_zpsfwxpiwbg.jpg

IMG_9386%201024x683_zpsnzyu9vdc.jpg

IMG_9387%201024x683_zpsrcqwuwgt.jpg

Oh Yea.......

IT'S ALIVE!!

Started and running but when I connect the MAF it runs a bit shit and laggy, maybe its a 6 cylinder one?

Might have to try and find a 4 cylinder one to try.

I still have a bit of work like connect dials and dash, OBD2 to check errors. Bleed brakes and clutch, hook up accelerator, put the seat in, Fuel regulator and pump sort of works ok.

• Like 6

It runs as it should tonight thanks to Pe-arce as he came up trumps for the missing pieces. I will do some tests as not sure what piece was wrong but the new pipe and MAF works a treat and it revs out now. :-D

Next:

Alternator wired in

Wire in OBD2 - Stripped out of the internal loom

Rewire everything into the car as currently running wires out the door to the ECU :)

Diff replacement + Driveshaft

Tidy up everything.

Then build a trailer.

IMG_9498%20681x1024_zps6niweuuc.jpg

IMG_9499%201024x969_zpswhyxvomn.jpg

IMG_9500%201024x683_zps9wxt8dyo.jpg

IMG_9501%201024x683_zpsjjgdppry.jpg

• Like 3

Getting close now although my test today in the driveway shows the diff is a problem.

It is twisting severely when I put power down and it pushes the front up so high it hits the underside of the tunnel.

I will be pulling the arms off and replacing them.

My Mate Alan, I can't say enough about this guy, he has never wired up anything like this and he has come through. We hope to have it fully wired and running on the alternator by next weekend.

IMG_9516%201024x683_zpsk4943wn0.jpg

• Like 4