Big Value Buddy's Big Value AX100

Big Value Buddy

Yo! Thought I’d share some two wheel excitement.

After getting my full bike licence, I’ve been rolling my exhaustive 8km suburban commute on my 1980 Honda CB750F.  After a year or so of this, I’ve got a little bored of the big bike (and It’s running costs) and began yearning for something smaller.

Distinguished CB750:

cj4heb34.e5s.jpg

After Russell’s (LOW’N’SLOW) birthday, where Wayne and Garth partied in on a sweet Suzuki AX100 (which he has since began a cool custom job on), I have been extra hot to trot.

While not specifically wanting an AX100 (I would have happily had a GP125, CB125, YB100, etc), the stars aligned.

I took a gamble on an Autobid on a damaged write-off on the Turners Auctions Auckland Trademe page and shit got serious.  This 1988 Suzuki AX100 had some light visible cosmetic damage, but was mostly complete.  More importantly it still had live registration and even had almost three months of WOF and Reg to go.

Fate and my Autobid saw me win the auction for a sweet price and today I picked it up from Turners Wellington .  Picking it up confirmed the things I knew (it was pretty tidy, but  had no key, missing front brake lever and some bent or missing indicators) and the things I didn’t really notice with my quick auction look on my phone (snapped off left foot peg and pretty badly bent forks).

Bent front end. Note the angle of the front wheel:

r0ebqcfr.3on.jpg

d24bzjr2.21s.jpg

• Like 1

So this afternoon I took the bike out to visit Hayhole’s Mum and within 10 minutes we had the ignition out and bypassed. And with the first kick, it fired up no worries!  This was very exiciting, as I didn’t know it ran until this point.

After a few laps of the street with the crooked forks, no left peg and back brake only I was going to leave it for the day.  But then Hayhole (oldnrusty) started wizzbanging the front end apart and lassoing the bike to some vehicles.

Before I knew it, Hayhole’s Mum and Hayhole were going at it with a steel pole, with extra tugging from Mathers.

Dudes!

2oofoa1u.r4b.jpg

wsyidht1.bn0.jpg

mlxotzcc.emf.jpg

• Like 6

All this led to a bike with straight forks with a much improved look and rideability. Cue more grin inducing test riding. The ‘ring-ding-ding’ two stroke goes awesome and has plenty of power, it is such a fun ride.

After:
0ig0ex0j.wyk.jpg
ppad2r0k.vgs.jpg
pt421bb0.4aj.jpg

Over the next couple of days I’ll get a key cut and visit Boyles to start sourcing the minor missing parts. Other than that, I plan to polish up the brightwork and make full use of the remaining WOF and Reg ; ride ride ride! I think it looks pretty snazzy for now in its factory black and highlighter blue.

A massive thanks to Hayhole’s Mum, Hayhole and Chris. Such mega GCs for helping getting it running and straight. I appreciate the time, workshop space and tools. Youse some good khuntz.
Cheers

• Like 8

So, today's success was taking the ignition barrel to a locksmith and getting a key (two for good measure) cut. Success! The key operates the ignition, petrol cap, helmet lock and steering lock. Bonus! I can put petrol in now.

In other related news, the brake lever I got doesn't quite fit and broke, where the cable hooks in. I will revisit this at Boyles tomorrow. No stress.

I also took it for a thrash around the block and I can safely say that this small bike has reignited the joy of suburban riding. Everything is so loud(ring-ding-ding) and exhilarating. Also, this whip weighs 82kg dry, as opposed to the 253kg wet weight of the CB750F. Light is right!

Anyway, everyone likes a picture, so here's a loosely related one of my tasty treats and Bruce.

Cheers.

msk4gind.2u3.jpg

• Like 3

So, more small steps today. Put in a new spark plug and lead cap. It still starts, so success there. Main achievement was getting the lovely factory dash box back together, with the ignition. More success, as the newly cut key works. The headlight now works, as does the tail. The indicators on one side are fine and the other side should work once the missing one is replaced.

Did a little bit of polishing, but have more to do.

Boyles are helping source the correct brake leaver and researching if the factory foot peg assembly is obtainable.

I did a celebratory local hoon, in the rain, with no foot pegs and back brake only. working lights made it safe!

Pic for tonight is Garage Tetris:

dl2hlfcr.5gu.jpg

• Like 4

yus. more AX goodness. are you gonna custom it at all? they look pretty sweet stripped down, also i have the forks off mine that may be available if my dad isnt gonna use them on his bucket ts50 build. i can find out if youd like.

Gidday mate, for now I'm keen to ride it as is and might do things like a round headlight and better looking bars. I do like a brat seat though. I'm unlikely to go to the lengths of you or LOW'N'SLOW for now. But you guys are doing great things. I like your disc front end conversion.

Cheers about the forks, I might be keen, if your old man doesn't end up using them.

Cheers,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...