austin owner's 85' 2wd hilux discussion

Greenie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you got those indicators sorted yet?

Check the bulbs. Sometimes when they blow they short out. Also the flasher unit can short out when it fries too. But your sparky should know that

nah not yet, the sparky recons its the relays have shored out so he just got new ones from pick a part and have just got to put them in and put the rest of my dash back together

You will be surprised how much the wheels will pull in once you give the torsion bars a good tweak. Does this have plastic inner guards? Those are the part most likely to rub when slammed and the body loom can hang a bit low on the drivers side so it pays to check where it sits then pull the guard off to lift it higher if need be

You will be surprised how much the wheels will pull in once you give the torsion bars a good tweak. Does this have plastic inner guards? Those are the part most likely to rub when slammed and the body loom can hang a bit low on the drivers side so it pays to check where it sits then pull the guard off to lift it higher if need be

nah there is no plastic inner or anything just the guard itself and then just all the suspension components. 

Measure how much clearance you have between the bump stop and the perch it contacts with as to how much you can lower it bearing in mind that you can trim the bumpstops and cut off the part they bottom out on trim it shorter and re weld it on to keep some suspension travel.

Bring it over once its legal and we can have a play with adjusting them, it only takes about 10 mins to wind the torsion bars down to see how it will look and just the same to correct them back to normal height.

Iv got a pair of drop spindles here too that havent been fitted to my lux yet that we could mock up and see if they do clear 14s which they might on those steelies because of the way the rear band steps down otherwise there is other options for getting the front of these hilux to sit low.

Is it disk or drum brake on the front?

oh yeah that makes sense, ill try to get it legal this week if i have time to get the indicators working, then ill hit you up? 

itll be good to chat to someone whos done it before haha.   but yeah sounds like a good idea :) 

and they are disks 

• 3 weeks later...

also while you guys are here, this may seem like a stupid question but is it illegal for me to take tho factory mud flaps off the back tray? because they are ugly and i was just gonna cut them off if its legal for me too do so????

You can find the WOF rules for mudguards here

The way I read it, you don't need mud flaps behind the tyre unless you have duallies.

You can find the WOF rules for mudguards here

The way I read it, you don't need mud flaps behind the tyre unless you have duallies.

Yeah but kicking up stones to the car behind you is a cunt move too.

thanks guys, i read though that page and all i gathered was it only needs it if the wheel will be exposed if ones not there, but considering that its still got the try to cover it i don't think i would be a problem,  but i think i might just look and getting or making other ones that ill be happy with as appose to removing them all together.   shot guys