flyingbricks 198? Holden WB Ute

Threeonthetree

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is exactly what happened. The tonner was a great price (FAR cheaper than repairing the damage on yellow) so although it was hard as fuck...I couldn't be happier now.

I Don't mind rust repairs in general...but yellow would be a never ending battle to keep sealed.

As an example..red still has rust free floors!

And there are many things more that I haven't mentioned that all make life easier.... Like brake lines and handbrake stuff in and working, live rego on hold! Unfucked seat mounting points (yellows had been fucked by previous owner)

ALSO. red and yellow together have enough bits to pick and choose the best of the lot (like door hinges, interior trim, doors etc)

Last thing to consider is if I install my 9" or not. Red has a good 3.55 ratio LSD large Salisbury which isn't the strongest but more than good enough for hooning.

• Like 3

There was a tonner on trade me recently that had a ute tray on it, looked OK. The difference in wheel base can be sorted by using more of the ute body. From memory the wheel base difference is 4 inches.Ā 

Ā 

Many years ago I had a ute that had the tray cut off. I think it had been a tow truck for southern districts towing from the remains of the colour. Anyway the flat deck we built was great for carting stuff round. It had drop sides and tailgate that came off easily, best of both worlds.

Ā 

I have seen a few had a tipper decks, that would be very cool.

• Like 1

that scoop

those guards

Pontiac nose

Ā 

please, 1984 Australian street machine magazine needs you

Have you seen these pics !(holy fuck they look even worse on tonners )

images%2048.jpg

images%2056.jpg

And the following are all healthy inspiration.

Really can't get past the idea of satin black and white tire lettering..cliche but it seems nearly everything is these days!

images%2057.jpg

images%2054.jpg

images%2052.jpg

861d154be8d8e3671dbbdb27e980dcbb.jpg

images%2049.jpg

images%2045.jpg

images%2044.jpg

images%2042.jpg

images%2041.jpg

images%2038.jpg

• Like 1

when I first saw Red it was wearing a set of brand new chrome steels (15x10 & 8) with new toyo 295/60r15 tires out back (and some shitters up front)

The seller wanted the value of the ute again for the wheels so unfortunately I had to leave them behind :-(

Little did I know but he has since been listing the wheels and tires on TM for lesser and lesser values. I got a txt last week from a mate saying the wheels had dropped a few hundred and today I got another message to say they were now cheaper again. The trademe add and photo was devoid of any serious info so nobody really knew what they were buying (and the value)

I haggled with the wife and she let me "borrow" from our savings to buy them.

(What a good bitch)

20150913_144603.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

On the V-band flanges, I am probably telling you to suck eggs but some people don't seem to know the trick.. You leave one flange with the pipe protruding through passed flush and the other side of the flange with a recess (pipe sits below flush) this way aligning the flanges is a breeze. :-)

Ā 

also swap the nuts out for zinc plated and you wont have broken threads quite so quickly.

• Like 1

On the V-band flanges, I am probably telling you to suck eggs but some people don't seem to know the trick.. You leave one flange with the pipe protruding through passed flush and the other side of the flange with a recess (pipe sits below flush) this way aligning the flanges is a breeze. :-)

Ā 

also swap the nuts out for zinc plated and you wont have broken threads quite so quickly.

Cheers mate.

These vband flanges were a special order- I had them made with male and female spiggot on the mating faces. I figure it's just an extra path for any gas to travel. I could also have the tube protruding! Probably a good idea!

• 8 months later...