NickJ's Lada Niva TwinCam

NickJ

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you could do injection so long as you dont have an increase in power of more than 20% ?

If it were mine Id just slap the injection on there and run it. Im sure any half decent friendly garage wouldn't give a shit. Mine wouldn't.  All you are after is better running eh.. not mega power.

47 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

I thought you could do injection so long as you dont have an increase in power of more than 20% ?

If it were mine Id just slap the injection on there and run it. Im sure any half decent friendly garage wouldn't give a shit. Mine wouldn't.  All you are after is better running eh.. not mega power.

Nah, change of induction, if the cert plate didn't say carbs I would have changed years ago 

Once I rig the speeduino in it will be electric everything except induction, which is quite sad, I really should just suck up and re-cert, thinking bout it, tis probably cheaper than a set of jets.....

Have speed input now, made more lines, timescale is still off, more like 1min over the entire range, more code to fix....

590846ec5252c_longslowaccelartion3rdgear.jpg.d0aba77c8f1611cc2958af058b830ec6.jpg

Long acceleration in 3rd, red is engine speed, (not calibrated ~ 5000rpm at full scale) green is AFR, blue throttle, the blip in mixture as the engine speed rises is interesting, few ideas, need to confirm, cool having the different inputs to give clues to the reasons.

590846ed49ffe_60kph_2copy.jpg.5f84c66fd6b2556fbfcff7c385937a52.jpg

50-60kph cruise is bang on, quite happy with that, not that you get to drive that steady in chch much!

• Like 3

Well... at least having carbs means you get to generate pretty patterns :-)

It is a shame that re-cert costs the full whack, so I believe,  even if it's just one thing that's been changed. That was my one gripe and issue I raised when the lvvta did their survey a while back. 

• Like 1

Yeah would be nice to have an easier way to do non performance mods such as FI, for now i'm happy learning a few more of the 50 fudges that consist of carburation.

I drilled out the air correctors the other day but then realised I have no repeatable tests to prove the mod, gut feel is its better, but really I need to get my hands on a full set of jet drills before I make further experiments.

• 6 months later...

Plan to locate all the important bits in the cabin if possible, i've given that engine bay a good wash on many occasions, nothing electronic is safe!

i'll build an ignitor box for the coils, that is a good candidate for potting, see how it turns out

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, azzurro said:

Leaky sump will be loose pan bolts. Maybee!

Sadly not, degreased the engine bay yesterday and there is a split at the rear along a weld, might try an epoxy patch but I need to modify the sump for the new diff mount! that might be the motivation to pull the engine (again)

I also need to work out a hoist for the shed/ engine crane, I forsee great spending.....

• 8 months later...

Nice Niva - always appreciated the blocky shape (and supposed off roading prowess) but I'm no off road guy so it would be wasted on me.

Anyway - I noticed you had the transfer box out - how heavy is it?

I'm wondering if the likes of Niva transfer box (or similar one off small 4x4 like Samurai etc) would be suitable as my EV reduction gearbox.

Cheers

• Like 2