NickJ's Lada Niva TwinCam

NickJ

27 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Even a moderate electric motor will have much more torque than the twin cam, you could get tech and monitor the oil temp, that would be the first sign that the loads are too high

Ok thanks man - what are the availability and the going rate like for the Niva unit, do you know? I don't suppose there are too many Nivas being wrecked for parts in NZ...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

A brand new transfer case can be brought from Russia from around $500 usd + freight, keep an eye on TM or ask in the Lada Niva New Zealand facebook page, there are still plenty out there, just gotta find them.

Good to know but probably not worth getting a new one, as I plan to chop the box to remove the front drive output.

As for the EV, not much going on yet - still in the research stage.

Got the motor out out of R32 Skyline (thanks @chris r & @piazzanoob for the engine hoist) and wondering if I can ditch the gearbox as well (hence the transfer box question).

Haven't done the build thread as 1) R32 doesn't really qualify as an oldschool, 2) I really haven't done much and 3) I'm a terrible procrastinator, so yeah...